Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,952   Online: 694

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ari, are you going to dump the Hasselblad? Well, if so, then I think an older CLA'd Rolleiflex in mintish condition is the way to go. That's what I'd do. (Or will do. I have tried to trade my 500c for one but to no avail, so I'll have to sell that kidney!)
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Ian your observation of the falling prices of used Rolleiflexes is different than mine from watching ebay. You must be referring to a different used market, perhaps used camera shops or something? The prices of used Rolleis continues to rise on ebay and is up significantly from 4 or 5 years ago.
    [/url]
    The prices I'm referring to were the prices of mint collectible Rolleiflex's which had risen significantly over the years, then as ebay became more popular those prices dropped very significantly. The same thing happened with Leica's, but I think those prices were over inflated and with many people switching to digital there was glut of cameras on Ebay. The resurrection of Rolleiflex production also influenced the over-inflated second hand prices.

I had my Rolleiflex valued by Rollei(UK) and one of their dealers back around 1999/2000 and it's probably worth just under half what they suggested now. Prices are rising again on ebay for Leicas & Rollei's, you don't see as many good ones now.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The reason I am going for the Rolleiflex is because I want a street/travel camera that is more compact, more light and more quiet than the Hasselblad.
    I don't mind hand holding the Hasselblad or taking it anywhere, unlike most people, but I would definately use a quiet, compact camera.
    Since I have a very extensive Hasselblad system, I won't miss any of the versality sacrificed with a TLR as it will have a very specific but important job.
    Fast focus, TTL metering, well coated lens are all important to me and the ones I would lose with a new model are not.
    Where I live, shipping, taxes and all that, trying to find someone to do CLA, plus any expenses, like a new screen, are all things I consider.

Robert White was the first I looked at, even before I posted here, but adding exchange, taxes and shipping, the price seemed high as its always with UK stores...

Plus, I haven't yet found the money, so this might take some time and maybe something will come up...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree vith Ari's thinking about new/old cameras. My and surrounding countries are filled with large numbers of Mamiya RB cameras which looks perfect. But they are all destroyed inside. Thing is those Mamiyas were used in studio for photographs needed for passports, ID's etc... So, those cameras never left studios and cosmetically they look perfect, but those cameras made millions of photographs and are so much destroyed inside that no CLA can help them When I bought my Mamiya RBproS I knew who and how used it...

Saying that, I use Yashica MAT as carry around MF camera, I payed it 70 EUROS and I am very happy with it. Drop or two of benzine for cigarette lighters was all CLA that camera needed when shutter leafs were sticked, and because I did it myself CLA costed me nothing (Ok, as I am not smoker and didn't have it already with me, cost of lighter benzine was all I had to pay for CLA) ...
    Last edited by haris; 03-19-2008 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about this little beauty?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=350025969610

I got my 2.8E Planar, the previous model, over ten years ago for £500 and it has almost worked like a dream since. Only once in Denmark in the middle of winter, the shutter froze when it got to -15 degrees. However, I had never had it serviced up until then but obviously I did when I got back. Several hundred rolls and many trips later, it still works fine. Working out the age of the model from it's serial number, I would think it is about as vintage as me, (45) and somehow I don't think my digital cameras will be that capable in the 2040s! The non TTL meter is very accurate unless it is very low light conditions. It would be wonderful to buy a new one but the price difference is a little prohibitive to say the least. However, the new models may be lighter than the 60s model. I wouldn't say my camera is any lighter or smaller than a Hasselblad unless you are also counting extra lenses for the Hasselblad. Great thing about a Rollei is that one is disciplined to use one lens unless you take a back up tele and wide angle Rolleiflex as well. Much as I love my old camera, I do desire a Mamiya 6 which is definitely lighter and more compact but have yet to find one in my price range. Maybe this would be just the camera for your travel photography?
    Best wishes
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PS.
    I forgot to mention that the only big change I made to mine was to replace the screen with a Beattie screen http://www.morco.uk.com/latest/beattie.htm which cost £100 then but is much more now. The older Rollei's did have very dark screens and the Beattie makes it appear brighter than real life. As you mentioned in your initial post, the shutter is very quiet and more discrete than the Hasselblad's lovely KKLLLUUMMPPHH sound.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should I consider the 2.8GX or others in the 2.8 line like the E and F?
    I have to figure out what happens with the taxes which add something like 500 euros to the price...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you should consider a 3.5 with a Xenotar!

I have this one here, I'm a Tessar guy!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been using a 2.8E for several years. Great camera. The meter works, but the system for using it is a bit cumbersome. The prices on Rolleis reflect collector demand, as well as user interest. As someone who deals in vintage items, the people that suggest the prices are "too high" are looking at them from a user standpoint. But even then, I think they are wrong. The Rolleiflex is generally better made than anything else of similar vintage. However, the lubrication in any shutter can tend to dry up over the years, leading to shutter hang ups at the slow speeds. So if you get a used one, figure on CLA for the lens, unless the seller has had this done and has a receipt to prove it. I would say this is true even for a fairly recent model if it has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I think CLA is around $175-200 or so. By the time you buy a 50 year old mint 2.8E and get the CLA for the shutter, you are probably going to $1,000 or more in it. Maybe splurge and get a new 2.8FX? I've been thinking about that myself. Drawback is that I can't use my Rollekin (for taking 35mm pics). That's what I use for ebay pics with my 2.8E. Well I guess I could keep my 2.8E for that. The Rollinars for older Rolleis can be used on the new ones. These are great for up close shots (as close as 8-9 inches).
    Steve Perry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    the GX is only cosmetically different from the FX and most of the GXs I have seen for sale are in mint condition. Personally I would prefer the later GX. The one complaint about the GX versus the FX is the shutter release and it has been smoothed out on the FX. I have varified that myself comparing them side by side the GX shutter release was less smooth.

But my personal recommendation for you would be to look into getting a 3.5F with either the Xenotar or the Planar. It is a great travel camera, it is lighter than the 2.8 and the accessories are cheaper and the lenses are outstanding. Get the most mint condition one you can find and spend your savings on a complete overhaul and you will have a great camera for life.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin