Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,427   Online: 782

Shooter
    35mm

Back into MF, RB67 questions.

I am returning from Iraq (deployed) in 6mo and plan on starting up a side business in portraiture and weddings so I purchased a new (to me) MF kit. I have previously used several Mamiya MF cameras, a 1000s and 645E but wanted the larger neg so I went with the RB67. I had several questions, hopefully someone here can answer them for me.

1. The kit I bought came with a 65mm & 90mm "C" lenses, are these drastically inferior to the KL lenses? Should I ditch them for newer ones?

2. I know this is a heavy SOB, what tripod legs/head do you use? I currently have 3001 Bogen legs and a 486RC2 head (13lbs).

3. I plan on purchasing a portrait lens, would you go with a 150mm or 180mm?

Since I have been out of MF for a while tell me if you think I got a good deal. All are working correctly and in good shape. Here is the link to some photos of the gear.

Mamiya RB67 Pro body
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S body
    2 WLF
    1 Non-Metered Prisim Finder
    2 120 backs
    65mm f4.5 C
    90mm f3.8 C
    Hood, 2 Filters, Manuals, Caps.

All for $570 shipped Fedex

Thanks for the help with my questions.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are in doubt, I will buy it now.

I have 127mm lens with my RB, and I will buy 65mm (or even wider) and 180mm. I have more need for wide angle, I could go without 180mm, but chosing between 150 and 180 I decided for 180mm. 150 is too close to 127 for me. I use Manfrotto 055 nature tripod with 029 head.
    Last edited by haris; 03-19-2008 at 08:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the pre-KL lenses are just fine if you judiciously shade the lens. Do buy the goofy shades, they really help.

Note that the KL lenses are a dime a dozen right now, so you'd be best off, in the long run, to invest in KLs if you can. Plus I think the new ZD back is going to extend the value of those on the market IMHO. I think the very best RB lens, of which I am aware, is the 210 KL apo, keep your eyes open for that.

I have the 150 SF and the 180. It all depends on your style. If I were shooting conventional portraits then i woudl deifnitely go for the 150, but... depends on what you want.

N.b. there is a grip that makes the RB much more handholdable. The bad thing abotu the grip IMHO is that there is no MLU detent so you get mirror slap (even though there is obviously a lot of mass damping on the rb!). Hence I would suggest removing the trigger connector from the grip and triggering the MLU with your other hand or with the dual cable release. Just a small delay between firign the mirror and then the shutter can give you slightly less blur you when doing longish exposures.

The 127 KL is awesome, by the way. I'd definitely take that over the 150 if you are debating that.

As an ideal 3-lens kit I think I would recommend: 65, 127, 210, and get a 6x8 back while supplies last!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    photobizz,
    Sounds like a great deal to me you see one body/lens/back going for easy $500 so anything else is ADP(additional dealer profit) You could sell the second outfit & end up with basically a free setup.
    Tripods, Tiltall is marginal with the RB so I went a little overboard with a Gitzo 1341 set heavy & stable. I also got ahold of a Gitzo Giant in some horsetrading. It usually lives in the closet with the closet monster but it is a nine foot tripod.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I found a nice 180mm Sekor-C lens for $125 with a 6mo warranty so I will probably pick that up shortly and go from there. I also shoot with a Leica M3 RF and a *gasp* Pentax K10D so the RB67 is not my only camera but will use it primarily for location portrait and wedding photography. I cant stand studio lighting and can only tolerate some flash so I have a two Metz 32-Z2 flashes with wein slaves for that "kick" when I need it. I may look for a larger tripod and geared head if it seems unstable on my current setup.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    another good portrait lens IMO, though many others dont like it, is the 150 SF, probably the cheapest lens in the bunch, i have had very good results with it. good luck

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin