Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,402   Online: 730

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I'm done with 35mm... need a few MF alternatives!

Hey folks,

I've recently been using both a Canon EOS 3 with a 17-40L, 135L, and very rarely the 70-200 f4 IS. I'm not sure why, but I just cannot get a decent scan from my 35mm negatives, no matter what I try. My 120 roll film scans are coming out BEAUTIFULLY. But I digress...

I'm on the fence right now, but I'm 75% sure that I will sell off my 35mm gear. This should free up roughly $2000. I wouldn't mind saving some of this, but then again, I wouldn't mind investing in a solid MF setup either. I have 2 Rolleiflex 3.5E TLR's (one is currently unusable, but a CLA should put it in tip-top shape) and really do love the TLR form factor, but I really find myself wanting to have an interchangeable back and interchangeable lens system. I don't mind letting one of these go (probably the one that needs a CLA), so this may few up a few hundred more dollars.

Anyways, I'm currently looking at the Hasselblad system. Perhaps a 501C with a few lenses and a few backs but I have also heard great things about the Pentax 6x7 II system. I am open to the Mamiya 7 series as well, but while the rangefinder seems great, I think I would prefer to have a SLR type camera.

Any suggestions? My budget is around $2000, give or take $200 (or even more on the minus side). I do not want to spend any more than this.

Thank you for your help (and sorry for my brief rant in the beginning )

Jason

Edit: Sorry, a choice of lenses with either setup would be helpful as well. I shoot mainly landscapes and portraits (I know this is quite diverse, but the longer lenses for portraits could double as a landscape lens!).
    Last edited by jasonjoo; 04-07-2008 at 11:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Hasselblad 501c kit with 80mm lens should go for about $1100.
    A 50mm CF lens is about $700 and a 150mm CF is about $500

That's a great travel kit. Buy another back when you can for about $200.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks David. I'm adding some different combinations into my basket at KEH.

What's the difference between the backs? I'm looking at the A12 back with dark slide, but I see this:

A12 BLACK 6X6 (30213) WITH DARK SLIDE HOLDER INSERT # DOESN'T MATCH BACK

Does this mean the back won't work with a certain body?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get an A12 with matching insert.

An A12 back has a serial number on the shell and a matching number on the insert. This means they were made together.

Also, go to http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/ to learn how to tell how old the gear is.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    MF SLRs are HUGE!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I understand what the backs are for, but what's an insert? And thanks for the link David!

cotdt, I really should ask and see if I can hold my friends Hassy for a bit. I don't remember it being too big, but definitely bigger than a 35mm SLR. However, I'm getting tired of these small negatives Thanks for the warning however. The Pentax 6x7II doesn't seem TOO monstrous. Is it?

Jason

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Personally I'm a big fan of the Pentax 67 system. Used bodies and lenses are quite cheap these days, and the quality is excellent. And the 6x7 format is a little more in tune with the way I shoot than 6x6. The main drawback is the weight (these suckers are HEAVY!). Mirror slap can be an issue if you're shooting handheld, but that goes for a Hassy too. A sturdy tripod and mirror lock-up are the way to go (don't get the very earliest model -- the Pentax 6x7 -- because it doesn't have mirror lock-up). There are no interchangeable backs though, so if you want that convenience then a Hassy might be a better choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmm yeah, the interchangeable backs would be very helpful. How hard is this mirror slap? I know I won't be hand holding and taking images at 1/8s like with my Rollei, but is the mirror slap that bad? What's a "useable" shutter speed to overcome this mirror slap?

The lenses are much cheaper with the Pentax system, but I think I'm weighing towards the Hasselblad 501C...

Jason

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Hmm yeah, the interchangeable backs would be very helpful. How hard is this mirror slap? I know I won't be hand holding and taking images at 1/8s like with my Rollei, but is the mirror slap that bad? What's a "useable" shutter speed to overcome this mirror slap?
    I think the general recommendation for minimum hand-held shutter speed -- for both the Pentax and the Hasselblad -- is about 1/125 with a standard lens. You'd have to go faster with longer lenses. But of course there are always those "human tripods" who consistently manage to get sharp images at slower speeds.

I know of one pro who uses a Pentax 67 handheld who actually activates the MLU just before taking the shot. Tricky technique.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    The Pentax 6x7II doesn't seem TOO monstrous. Is it?

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin