Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,257   Posts: 1,680,509   Online: 957

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Winger.. if you want me to give it a crack, e-mail me?
    Thanks, but it came loose on about the last page of posts. It actually wasn't too bad, once I got it out of the camera itself (easier to get leverage). I've even run a couple of rolls through it (post #29).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Winger... I just took a look at your pics... I have a question for you. Did you split the top lens cell halves appart? It's a 2 part assembly. The front turns as the inner (middle) element is stationary. It's not a one piece front cell.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Winger... I just took a look at your pics... I have a question for you. Did you split the top lens cell halves appart? It's a 2 part assembly. The front turns as the inner (middle) element is stationary. It's not a one piece front cell.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The front cell turns to focus. When I got it, that was frozen, so I worked it loose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you took out the front cell that seemed stuck it came out in one piece. That one piece consists of actually 2 that are also stuck together. The front part is suposed to turn and the back part stays stationary. scroll down a bit on this site and see what I am talking about, he shows a couple ways to unstick it... http://www.davidrichert.com/AGFA%20rebuild/agfa.htm

Which lens do you have in your Isolette?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got the front part off the middle element without resorting to a hose clamp. I took the lens/shutter assembly off the camera's front to be able to get a better grip on the pieces. I got the front, middle, and back elements apart; cleaned them; put them back together; reset the focus (though I'm going to re-check that); and loaded film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzokny View Post
    There is a man who has done this for years and only works on these types of folding cameras. I can try to find out his web sightfor you. James
    caveat emptor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I got the front part off the middle element without resorting to a hose clamp. I took the lens/shutter assembly off the camera's front to be able to get a better grip on the pieces. I got the front, middle, and back elements apart; cleaned them; put them back together; reset the focus (though I'm going to re-check that); and loaded film.
    Sounds to me like you have it exactly correct. When checking focus, I usually start with the infinity focus, then use two closer distances. One method was to place the camera on a tripod, and have a tape measure on the floor to indicate distance. I used 10' and 4' as my close distances.

You can also calibrate an accessory rangefinder, like a Präzisa or similar, in much the same way. On one of my 6x9 folders, I have a Präzisa in the accessory shoe, and it is much more repeatable than guessing distances. This will decrease your focus distance errors at closer distances. Judging by your images, I think it was more focus error than a problem with the lens.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Winger, that's correct, you did the right job. Many DIYers miss this and by the decriptions, I didn't see you mention that. Most of these Agfa lenses are practically welded together, you were very lucky.

Enjoy the camera, it's going to give you many more years of pleasure n great pics.

BTW a ground glass on the film plane n loosening the focusing ring n resetting it is a very easy job. Once it's properly done, your pics will be razor sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like you have it exactly correct. When checking focus, I usually start with the infinity focus, then use two closer distances. One method was to place the camera on a tripod, and have a tape measure on the floor to indicate distance. I used 10' and 4' as my close distances.
    Yeah, I think I SWAG-ed it a bit too much. Since it's empty, I'm going to do it again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin