Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 829

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

unsticking isolette lens

I just got an Agfa Isolette (first version, I believe). The shutter seems okay, as far as I can tell so far and I still have to check the bellows for holes. BUT, the lens does not turn to focus. I don't know for sure if it's stuck at infinity or at 3 feet. What's the best bet to unstick it? Send it out, or try myself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought one last year with the same problem.I had to have it refurbished. A new bellows and the lens had to be taken apart cleaned oiled . works like a brand new one. It cost me almost $ 100.00 . There is a man who has done this for years and only works on these types of folding cameras. I can try to find out his web sightfor you. James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzokny View Post
    There is a man who has done this for years and only works on these types of folding cameras. I can try to find out his web sightfor you.
    You may be thinking of Jurgen Kreckel aka "certo6" on the big auction site.

I got a pretty nice Perkeo II from him recently, he enjoys an excellent reputation.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Was this Jurgen? http://www.certo6.com/

Antje

EDIT: Dave was a wee bit faster.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was Mr. Kreckel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bethe,

I got one unstuck by dint of a two day bath in naptha, a small drop of liquid wrench, a tap or two on the side every couple hours for a day or so with a small metal rod to help the liquid penetrate and then concerted and sustained effort with a tiny home-made strap wrench - not a task I would take on again if I could have somebody else do it. I almost gave up. It was not the "professional" way to do it to say the least. Mr. Kreckel's service is praised by all and seems reasonable if the camera is important to you. I simply wasn't willing to spend $105 on a $15 camera at the time. The whole camera will be clean and ready for good fun if he does it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all! I may actually try this one myself. Or I might try shooting with it first in case it's stuck at infinity. I only paid $25, Whitey, so I sorta feel the same. The wait for it to be done puts me off more than the cost, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have one. I have just looked at the DoF table supplied. If it is stuck at infinity and the cost of getting the focus to function fully is more than the camera's worth then provided everything else is OK and you use f16 you'll get the kind of DoF that will enable you to take sharp pictures from 15ft and at f22 at 11ft which is close enough for people groups. Perfectly possible to use f22 on the sunny f16 rule and ISO 400 film which at 6x6 negs isn't going to show much grain. In fact there's an argument that if you want to use larger apertures and at close range, you'd have to use a rangefinder attachment for close ups anyway unless your ability to judge distance was above average. DoF becomes quite small at close range and it is easy to misjudge. At 5ft for instance and at f8 the DoF is only 4.3ft to 5.9ft

For a camera that produces big negs, it's so easy and light to carry around.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just fixed mine a few weeks ago. It was easy. There are plenty of threads about this at Rangefinderforum.com.

1. Remove lens assembly
    2. Soak in lighter fluid overnight.
    3. Heat with hairdryer (on high) for about 5 minutes
    4. Unscrew stuck threads. I was able to use my fingers. If still stuck, use more heat.
    5. Clean old green gunge lubricant from threads using lighter fluid and qtips
    6. Re-lubricate with synthetic grease

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin