Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,733   Online: 1246

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Mamiya 7 External Viewfinder haze, flare?

I have on approval to buy a 50mm lens with viewfinder. Visible through the finder are irregular "marks," like blotchy shapes tinged slightly blue. These marks are visible in most lighting conditions, usually appearing towards the center of view. They vary as I move the finder, changing in shape and location.

I described this to a pro camera rental and was told that the coating has worn in places from the finder's glass, and that what I'm seeing are "chromatic aberrations." True?

I've used another external viewfinderfor the 43mm and haven't seen this before. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has, or anyone with insight as to what these "marks" may be.

Many thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At worst you may get more flare through the finder - obviously it won't affect image quality.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The external find is a bit abused. Clearly not as well cared for as your 43 mm finder. The important issue is whether the lens is fine? Test shoot the lens to make sure it isn't abused like the finder. If the lens is fine, at a good price, and the abused finder is a problem, you could ask for a discount, and buy another finder is better shape.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    My viewfinder for the 50mm is prone to flare - it could be because the glass elements don't appear to be coated at all, which doesn't agree with what the rental place told you. I bought the lens new in 2000, so maybe newer finders have coatings. The viewfinder does tend to get beat up because it sticks out from the camera body and, unlike the lens, never has a cap on the glass.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    The chromatic aberrations explanation is not a correct one - they would not change shape and location as you move the finder. But from your description it is not possible to know exactly what it is. Can be quite annoying, I imagine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 43mm and have never had a problem with the external vf.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin