Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,774   Online: 844

Thread: Mamiya 2x3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya 2x3

I have the opportunity to purchase one of these in excellent condition with 6X9 and 6X7 backs, 90mm sekor lens, and grip. Is $229 a good price? Will it need separate view finders for the different formats? I'm thinking of making a trade for my rolleiflex 3.5T is this crazy?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Images
    Good Evening,

As with all used equipment, especially the older stuff, condition is everything. That said, the $229 is not a bad price at all, particularly with the two backs; in the mid-'70's, I paid $225 for my Mamiya Super 23 with 100mm lens and 6 x 7 back. I don't know if viewfinders in all the 6 x 7/6 x 9 Mamiyas are exactly the same. My Super 23 is not immediately at hand and not been used in years, so I can't check the viewfinder right now, but I think that it has different indicators for various focal length lenses. I believe that the viewfinder is OK for 100mm, 150mm, and 250mm. I'm fairly certain that the wide angle lens (65mm??) would require an accessory finder. There's a lot of additional information on this camera at bigcamera.com. I'll leave the trade possibility to others who are familiar with Rollei's.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Mamiya Universal Camera and can say that if the one you are looking at is in good condition it is worth the asking price, Whether it is worth trading your Rollei for is something I would hate to comment on - I would like to have both. For more indepth information on the Mamiya Press check this site out.

http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcam...er23/index.php

Towards the bottom of the site is a heading for More Information - click on the lens tab and it will show you the different lens configurations and the ones that need auxiliary viewfinders. You can also see all the accessories that are available with the system. These are a rugged camera system with lots of accessories not available with the Rollei. I have 3 6x9 backs that lets me interchange between B&W. Colour Print and Transparencies film as required.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's in good shape, and has the grip, that is a good price if it is a Universal or a Super 23. Not so much a good price if it is a Press/Standard. I would not trade your Rollei for it in any case.

You don't need separate viewfinders for the different formats. 6x9 and 6x7 are both marked in the viewfinder.

I would also immediately pick up a ground glass back for the camera. This is incredibly helpful.

I have a Super 23 and a Universal, as well as the Mamiya Professional Systems Handbook by Robb Smith. If you get the camera, and want a photocopy of the Press system chapter, let me know, cover the copies and the shipping, and I will send it to you.

The biggest problem with this system is that lenses and accessories tend to get expensive, as they are fairly rare, and there is a group of people who are nuts over these cameras. Your first kit (body, normal lens, etc.) will likely be reasonably priced, but backs, viewfinders, and lenses will be more.

2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase one of these in excellent condition with 6X9 and 6X7 backs, 90mm sekor lens, and grip. Is $229 a good price? Will it need separate view finders for the different formats? I'm thinking of making a trade for my rolleiflex 3.5T is this crazy?
    The price is good. As said you don't need any extra viewfinders for this lens/backs combination. I wouldn't pay the price + your rolleiflex in trade for it though, unless you're sure you will never look back for your rolly.
    Ebay is full of accessories for Mamiya 2x3 and the prices for cameras are going down - some rare accessories gained in price but the rest is stable or even less.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin