Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,588   Online: 1094

Shooter
    35mm RF

Question to Rollei+Maxwell screen users

Hi there,
    not long ago I replaced the screen on my Rolleiflex (3.5E, Xenotar 75/3.5) with a brilliant matte Hi lux maxwell screen.
    The screen is a very bright and a big improvement. I have the following questions:
    1) The screen was installed for me by a technician who also adjusted the focus. How can I know the he put it in the right way - up side, down side wise? I understood that the bottom side should be completely matte and not reflecting light, and opaque. The upper side now reflects light and is bright. Is it OK?

2) The upper side is not completely smooth. I mean, not as smooth as glass. I becomes dirty very easily and not easily cleaned. Should it be so?

Thank you for your answers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf View Post
    Hi there,
    not long ago I replaced the screen on my Rolleiflex (3.5E, Xenotar 75/3.5) with a brilliant matte Hi lux maxwell screen.
    The screen is a very bright and a big improvement. I have the following questions:
    1) The screen was installed for me by a technician who also adjusted the focus. How can I know the he put it in the right way - up side, down side wise? I understood that the bottom side should be completely matte and not reflecting light, and opaque. The upper side now reflects light and is bright. Is it OK?

2) The upper side is not completely smooth. I mean, not as smooth as glass. I becomes dirty very easily and not easily cleaned. Should it be so?

Thank you for your answers.
    I have a Maxwell screen for my Canham and think it is great. I can't answer your question though. You might call him. He is very helpful and answered the phone when I called to order my screen.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just looked at mine that is made for the FX but I suppose it should be the same. The bottom is flat matt and the top looks pretty glossy but if you look at it with a magnifier you can see a light screen of concentric circles etched into it so that it isn't exactly smooth like glass.

Set your camera focus to infinite and look at some distant object and see if it is in focus, then shoot a photo with the lens set at 3.5 and see if it comes out sharp.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks guys,
    dpurdy, I don't worry about the focus. It was collimates and I checked it wide open - It's absolutely accurate.

I just wanted to make sure it's properly placed. I can't look at the other side - the hood is not detachable in this model. Is the other side really matte and opaque?
    The upper side seems really prone to getting dust and getting dirty. Not mentioning drops of wine or ice cream that can get to it if you have the camera on your neck while eating/drinking

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ha ha the good thing about the removable hood and screen is that you can take it out and wash it. The bottom side isn't opaque as that would mean you couldn't see the image at all but it is definitely a very matt surface. No mistaking it for glossy at all. I am sure yours is fine.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin