Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,757   Online: 803

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi again, Dennis

Yes, Canada calls me often. I am most familiar with Vancouver Island, perhaps twenty or so visits over the years, but this time Toronto and points east are the objective.

A techinical question, did you have any problems re your fast film and airport travel. I may be flying with faster films than I am accustomed to. My last trip to Mexico was in the ASA 125 range, hence no problems. How does it work with 3200?

Thanks,
    Merg

mergross.com
    The TMY and TMY2 had no problem being xrayed once and hand inspected once. The 10 rolls delta 3200 I divided up between my pants pockets and just took them through metal dectors and avoided inspection entirely.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dennis, thanks. I tried the pants and pocket thing on an air trip to Mexico in 2000. I couldn't get through the metal detector after a few passes and couldn't figure out why. It turned out that my film was on metal spools. I guess plastic is the norm these days.

What size prints do you make?

Again, really fine work!

Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hotel Francia and Hotel Montealban

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Hotel Francia....near the Zocalo.

Don't ask what his room number was. I did and no one knew what I was talking about.

DH Lawrence stayed there too.
    The Hotel Francia has been there near a hundred years and been remodeled a few times. My mother told me that my father used to had lunch there daily when they meet each other in the late 1930's, by then, my father worked for a company in Mexico City that had business in Oaxaca and Hotel Francia was a meeting place for travelling agents. The wedding party of my parents took place in the Hotel Montealban in March 1940.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Dennis, thanks. I tried the pants and pocket thing on an air trip to Mexico in 2000. I couldn't get through the metal detector after a few passes and couldn't figure out why. It turned out that my film was on metal spools. I guess plastic is the norm these days.

What size prints do you make?

Again, really fine work!

Merg
    I think unless you shoot 127, all film is now on plastic spools. I kind of wish that wasn't so because I could recycle the metal but I have no idea what to do with bags of plastic spools.

My print size was a non aesthetic decision. They are 7x7 inches, theoretically the same size as they are on a monitor. I have found that I have less sharpness issues with scans if I always stay the same size. So I print 7x7 and scan 100% at 150 dpi, then do some adjustments and reduce them to 72 dpi and then post them. These are just scan prints and really have no function beyond that but to fill up a box and add to a pile. I am going to edit them and make 9.5 x9.5 inch negs from them and then make a set of platinum prints. I don't know anyone able to use small silver prints seriously except Michael Kenna.

Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez View Post
    The Hotel Francia has been there near a hundred years and been remodeled a few times. My mother told me that my father used to had lunch there daily when they meet each other in the late 1930's, by then, my father worked for a company in Mexico City that had business in Oaxaca and Hotel Francia was a meeting place for travelling agents. The wedding party of my parents took place in the Hotel Montealban in March 1940.
    That is very cool. I am sure the place has been repaired and somewhat remodled since 1940 but the ancient staircase and the front desk and the layout of the place has to be all the same.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hello,

What a great thread, and thanks to everyone for all the wonderul information.

This reminds me why the internet is such a great place.

Sandy King

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin