Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,347   Online: 1147

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You make those cameras sound like a real "HASSLE". Gentlemen, the correct spelling is "Hasselblad" (which is a Swedish name, named after founder Victor Hasselblad). See also http://www.hasselblad.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ever since I got my 503CW last year, I can't put the thing down. Hasselblad and B&H tag teamed to twist my arm into submission. Hassey with it promo - buy a 503CW, and A12 back, get the CW Winder for free and then B&H with an incredibly low priced 80mm CFE demo for sale. How can a weak man like me resist. And it was yellow to boot. Alright maybe not a plus for many of you, but still...

As for the lenses, they are worth every penny. Since then, I have bought a 50mm CFi, 120mm Makro-Planar CFi and 180mm CFi. The pics come out crisper than fried chicken. Truely awesome. I can't say enough about the camera system and its lenses especially.

Now, since I'm just a hobbyist and spending large amounts of money is not an option, just medium large amounts, I'll tell you a secret...I bought all three of the last lenses on e-Bay and KEH and saved myself a fortune. The key is patience. You have to wait for your lens to come up and you should wait for 'star' sellers on e-Bay. Ask lots of questions too and don't bid until you are sure the lens and seller are legit. Most lenses go for 50% of the original price. The other key is the CFi versus CFE designation. I have a 503 so the newer CFE lenses, which are more, have an added feature which is worthless for me, so I look for the CFi models. The CFE models have the electronic contacts for the 200 series Hasseys.

I took all three of lenses to local shop that I trust to have them looked over and they were all in 'Like New' condition with their optics being unblemished.

Buy a Hassey, you'll enjoy it for the next half century at least. Future archeologist will dig up my yellow one before they DNA my bones.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Go with the Hasselblad. They never break (unless you screw up) and wow there's a lot in those negatives. I have 6 lenses but I did 2 weeks in Egypt with just a 60 and 150 and to me they're the perfect walk-around combo. nothing too extreme and my are they sharp. You'll always wonder if you should have gotten the H if you get anything else.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Go with the Hassy! I bought an older 500c, back, and 80mm lens two years ago and it is amazing. I too know the pain of looking at hassy lens prices, so here is what I did. I have a 2x converter, which gives me a 160mm lens wit only one stop of light loss. I have a set of 3 close up filters, and a 55mm tube for doing macro. I did add a second back to my kit. When I do win the lottery, I'll look at getting the 250mm, and the 40mm. It seems when ever I get close to saving the money for another lens, a Linhof, or a Veriwide walks by, and I can't resist. I just need to learn to keep it in my pants, my wallet that is.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ebay is the place to get gear. Be patient and know the current market price of what you want. Here are a couple of my experiences:
    This is not a lie: About one year ago I won an auction for a 503CW kit (A12 back and CFE 80 lens) for $1000 including overnight shipping. It was made in 2000 and was in new condition. Did I luck out? Yes. Was I afraid of a scam? Hell Yes!!!
    Then about 3 months ago, I won this auction: 501c with 80mm, A12, 50mm CF FLE, real 2xe converter, and A24. All from 1995. All came with boxes and were as new. No joke. The price? How about $1525 with shipping.

Be patient and look. And for god's sake, ask questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin