Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,692   Online: 944

Shooter
    Large Format

Replacement battery for Yashica 124G

What would be a suitable replacement battery for a Yashica 124G (from the original recommended battery) and what exposure compensation should be made?

Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to look at these batteries Exell Z625PX's , they are a competitor to the Wein Cells and much cheaper.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you considered finding the required voltage, and wiring a setup yourself? I'd imagine either 1 or 2 AAAs would work just fine, coupled with the proper resistors. I've done this with a number of cameras, including rather delicate SLRs, to test them out when I don't have the battery. Get some alligator clamp leads and a couple of 1 and 2 battery housings at your local Fry's, RadioShack, etc. Also, remember your resistors, and a plug board. You just wire the boxes into the plug board, and use the resistors as leads to one side of the alligator clips.

Voltage = Impedance (Current) * Resistance, so Resistance = Voltage/Impedance (Current)

Remember, if you can't get the rated current for the camera, you can use protection diodes to just cut the voltage straight. Typically 2 x 1.5v batteries ---> protection diode -.5v = 2.5v available. Buy a few diodes so you can use them in series, as needed. Then just hook up the alligator clips inside the camera terminals and watch your machine come alive. A little gaffer's tape and the whole getup becomes portable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    I think in the U.S. you can buy the so called MR-9 adapter which has a built in diode to reduce the voltage from the inserted 1,55 V of a silver-oxide battery (I think a PX-76) to the rquired 1,35 V of the original PX-625 mercury cell. The outer diameter is the same than the PX-625. Since the Mat 124 G has a needle instrument she has most probably no bridge circuit as a Pentax Spotmatic e.g. and therefore you get a false value if the current is not correct. The zinc-air cells like Weincell do work well but have a rather short life of only a few months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread has just made me realise why my negs shot at the weekend were a little underexposed, I just ordered the Gossen adaptor for my Luna Pro meter as a result.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Do a search on Cris Camera...then battery adapters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean here. I'll order one for my Yashica 124.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-14-2008 at 07:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add to post

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks to all, advice much appreciated.

Merg

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Just to add, the px625 Wein Cell Zinc-Air battery is available from Freestyle for $4.99

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin