Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,756   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How do you organize your bag or backpack?

How do you organize dividers in your bag or backpack for a medium format camera?

I'm especially interested to see variants for Contax 645 with 2-3 lenses and flash.
    Thank!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought the Photobackpacker system (an Apug sponsor.)

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for reply.

Are prism and lens attached when your camera in the bag?
    How do you position of your camera - lens down or horizontal or whatever else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Organize? My MF is resting on a folded dishtowel in the main compartment, film in the front pocket.
    The 35mm bag is more organized because I have several fixed lenses.
    My Website

My Blog

"Let There Be Light" --God

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting solution. What is your towel?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The advantage of the Photobackpacker system is that you can buy individual cases to fit specific camera and/or lens needs individually, and combine them on a board in your pack, all held in place with velcro. I have 1 case with a divider that holds the body with lens attached and another lens, a second case that holds 2 lenses and extension tubes (also divided,) and a third case that holds filters, light meter, etc. The camera case holds the camera in a horizontal position with the finder attached. All cases fit nicely in a Kelty Redwing pack with some room to spare around the edges for film, lens shade, etc.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Evgeny,

I'm too paranoid to carry anything that looks like a camera (or laptop) bag. I sometimes use a cheap overnight bag (hard bottomed with feet) subdivided with shoe boxes (or equivalent) lined with pieces of backpacker foam pad. I've used towels but after awhile too much lint floating about and loose threads catching on things. I have a "please steal me" silver Halliburton that I don't use anymore, the interior foam turned into mush, a bitch to clean up. Presently I'm looking for an old cheesy bowling ball bag to tote my RB, lenses-n-stuff.

Terry

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    After searching for a number of years, I found a canvas rucksack 17"x12"x6"(deep) w/leather bottom, padded back, waist belt and padded shoulder straps. This pack holds (inside): Gitzo carbon fiber tripod (16" packed size), RB and 3 lenses (in leather pouches), 3 film holders (roll and cut film), film, rain gear, lunch and a few navigation tools. Total weight is about 22 lbs and very comfortable for a day in the back-of-beyond. The Photobackpaker cases also fit very nicely in this no nonsense pack. 25 lbs seems to be my upper limit in weight these days, I'm 60 this year.

If I pack my little Galvin w/2 lenses I can knock off 8-9 lbs, totaling under 14 lbs. Nice! Good for reaching high elevations.

Paul
    Last edited by panastasia; 05-21-2008 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added note
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just toss in the Rollieflex into my pack with the 8x10 since it is so small I don't notice the extra weight...

Vaughn

PS...I do wrap it in the darkcloth for a little protective padding...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All my things photographic go to small plastic boxes which they fit full, occasionally it's a bit of foam that doesn't allow them to wiggle and make noise. The boxes then get their place in the backpack as the need is. Less weight than any Photo backpacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin