Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,767   Online: 1278
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State College, PA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    46

    Anyone Shoot with a Brownie?

    I have my Grandfather's Brownie. What kind of light conditions are best for shooting with it? I'm guessing sunny days.... Anyone have any pics to share?

  2. #2
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,245
    Images
    65
    Not on a regular basis, but earlier this year I ran a roll of Delta 100 through my Brownie Target 620 (after respooling the film). On a reasonably bright day, an ISO 100 film should be pretty decent. I vaguely recall the old Verichrome Pan was about 64 or 80. This camera has a little tab that slides a smaller aperture into place for beach or snow scenes. I suspect 400 films might get a bit overcooked.

    The camera has been in my posession since new -- not exactly sure when -- maybe 1950 or 51.

    DaveT

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,595
    Hi honeydo.Which Brownie are you speaking of? There are many.

  4. #4
    Akki14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,873
    Images
    210
    Some of my Brownie No.2 Shots. The -trans pages were shot on expired Agfa RSXII ISO 200 slide film. The scans don't really do the slides justice.
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/dorset-trans/
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/matlockbath-trans/ (the "vignetting" on the top of 06-07 is actually from window edge of a cable-car i was shooting through glass)
    Some of the stuff my husband shot in March with one of my Brownie No.2 (Model F)
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/sullyBrownieUS/
    There's really nothing wrong with them, check out the information on brownie-cameras.com for approximate shutter speed (though I argue with their 1/60th or slower shutter speed estimate. I estimate mine at 1/100th - no worse than a modern Holga) and approximate apertures and bring along a handmeter. Don't bother shooting if conditions aren't right.

    I found the Brownie cameras ideal for getting into small contact printing for alt processes like cyanotype. In fact, for most of the last year of me working in cyanotype I've been using Brownie camera negs.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State College, PA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Hi honeydo.Which Brownie are you speaking of? There are many.
    I've got the Brownie Hawkeye....no adjustments can be made on it. It was great....it came with a roll of film in it my grandfather exposed most of 40 years ago. I developed it and got wonderful pics of my sisters and uncle at Kennywood in Pittsburgh.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State College, PA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Some of my Brownie No.2 Shots. The -trans pages were shot on expired Agfa RSXII ISO 200 slide film. The scans don't really do the slides justice.
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/dorset-trans/
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/matlockbath-trans/ (the "vignetting" on the top of 06-07 is actually from window edge of a cable-car i was shooting through glass)
    Some of the stuff my husband shot in March with one of my Brownie No.2 (Model F)
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/sullyBrownieUS/
    There's really nothing wrong with them, check out the information on brownie-cameras.com for approximate shutter speed (though I argue with their 1/60th or slower shutter speed estimate. I estimate mine at 1/100th - no worse than a modern Holga) and approximate apertures and bring along a handmeter. Don't bother shooting if conditions aren't right.

    I found the Brownie cameras ideal for getting into small contact printing for alt processes like cyanotype. In fact, for most of the last year of me working in cyanotype I've been using Brownie camera negs.
    Great pictures. I think my favorite is the one with all the ice. I like ice And I liked the vignetting in the one set. I need to get some different film and run it thru and see how it goes.

  7. #7
    Stephen Frizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,380
    Images
    174
    I have a solid base of clients here in Sydney Australia who shoot on the brownies.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,595
    The hawkeye is a lot of fun.One version takes standard 120 rolls.
    100 ASA B&W film,sunny day,ya can't go wrong.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Alex Bishop-Thorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,455
    Images
    29
    Me and a friend shoot with Brownie Six-20's, (an E and an F), and just trim down 120 spools to fit properly. We've guessed the aperture at f/16, and the shutter speed around 1/60. Gotten some neat results, even some quite nice slides.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

    Worry less. Photograph more.

  10. #10
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I vaguely recall the old Verichrome Pan was about 64 or 80.
    IIRC, Verichrome Pan, ca. mid 1960s, was ASA 125.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin