Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,763   Online: 974

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    mah mee yah, no accented syllable.
    Keith, is the sound of the first syllable like choice #1 or #3? In other words, does Mah rhyme with Blah or are the first two syllables like "mammy" in #3?

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm not trying to be. It's hard to know for sure how to pronounce that first syllable with the phonetic spelling.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    I called the company once...and the woman answered mah mee yah. I called for that very reason...
    Ahhhhhh! Smart!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The big surprise to westerners learning Japanese is the general lack of accented syllables. This is what makes Japanese, as spoken by a beginning Westerner, unintelligible to many Japanese. It's a bit like hearing an Indian deliver a word like "development" as DEVelopment. First time you hear it, you may not understand it at all.

Here's a tip: think about all the western ways you might accent it, e.g. MAmiya, maMIya, and mamiYA.... and know that it is neither of these. It is ma-mi-ya. You have to deaccent it
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally I pronounce it "one great camera" errrrrr in my case 4 great cameras!!!!!!

Mah-me-ya just like they answer the phone at Mamiya America!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryhill View Post
    Sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm not trying to be. It's hard to know for sure how to pronounce that first syllable with the phonetic spelling.
    If you really are interested click here for a short but annoying course in Japanese pronunciation.

Terry

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    If you really are interested click here for a short but annoying course in Japanese pronunciation.

Terry
    Helpful, thank you. I've got it now. So, the answer is closest to #2. Just say #2 without any accented syllable, and that will do it.

Reading this thread.... I can't help but think it would be a great American advertising campaign if they were to do any. "How do you pronounce" (up comes the Mamiya logo) A bunch of Americans saying it half a dozen ways. Then along comes the last line "I just pronounce it one great camera." (23mjm could make a fortune on that line).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the responses, and to Keith for the extra lesson on Japanese.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryhill View Post
    Helpful, thank you. I've got it now. So, the answer is closest to #2. Just say #2 without any accented syllable, and that will do it.

Reading this thread.... I can't help but think it would be a great American advertising campaign if they were to do any. "How do you pronounce" (up comes the Mamiya logo) A bunch of Americans saying it half a dozen ways. Then along comes the last line "I just pronounce it one great camera." (23mjm could make a fortune on that line).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the responses, and to Keith for the extra lesson on Japanese.

I got around the problem by trading it in to buy a Hasselblad [an 'asselblad?]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While in Japan the photo shops pronounced it: Mah-me-ya, just like the lady said.

Remember the earthquake? Kobe or Ko baaaaaa as it was soon to be called. So much for Kobeeee Beef, it's now Ko baaaaa Beef.:o
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    While in Japan the photo shops pronounced it: Mah-me-ya, just like the lady said.

Remember the earthquake? Kobe or Ko baaaaaa as it was soon to be called. So much for Kobeeee Beef, it's now Ko baaaaa Beef.:o
    While in Japan the photo shops pronounced Polaroid...uh...Fhuji.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin