Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,622   Online: 1009

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mah-me-yaa, for me. But I've heard it pronounced the same as #1 too. Just personal preference, they still make a camera that you could break a russian tank with.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post

I got around the problem by trading it in to buy a Hasselblad [an 'asselblad?]

Steve
    A HHasszzelblaad, strong "h", sharp "s", dark "a"s, last "a" is longer than the first. The name means hazel leaf, btw. Nice name.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    never really thought about it, but say ma as in 'mam' (or bam, or wham) meee as in 'meee' then yah - as in the upper class English way of saying 'yes'. (close to yar or ...yargh...if you manage to throttle them first). Ma- meee- yah (yargh....). but I'm sure there are many ways to skin a rabbit....
    Last edited by catem; 05-19-2008 at 10:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typing too quickly

mah mi (EEE for those ignorant of non-english vowel sounds) yah is the Japanese-correct way. Just like ni (EE)-kon is the correct way for pronouncing Nikon. However, in the US, Canada, and I'd assume the UK, there is always the tendancy to turn i (EE) into ai (A-EE), so as long as you don't accent or accent the second syllable, you won't make a fool of yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I articulate properly, it gives this:

But sometimes I may slip, and introduce a colloquial Québec accent, and produce this instead:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 1.png   Image 2.png  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't ask, I'm still struggling with Minolta, and Ricoh .
    Ben

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmmm ... maybe I've been pronouncing it wrong for over 30 years. I've always said "ma-MY-ah", and when I got my first one my brother pronounced it "MAM-eee-uh" and I remember correcting him.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's probably easiest to simply think of it as "mummy-ya".
    There is a slight accent on the first syllable.

But does it really matter? You say "to-mah-to" and I say "to-may-to."

Besides, the English language is routinely massacred here in Japan. No reason why we can't "adapt" their language as well. Whatever works.
    Last edited by Kent10D; 05-21-2008 at 06:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Didn't we have this thread last year? As for me I have used #1 predominantly but occasionally I slip and use #2. I beleive Al Jolson used #3 with great frequency.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Didn't we have this thread last year? As for me I have used #1 predominantly but occasionally I slip and use #2. I beleive Al Jolson used #3 with great frequency.
    Ah yes, the Al Jolson version!

But as I remember his was more of a "Mammy" type thing. Must have been a regional accent.

Hmm ... you know ... we may have discovered where Mamiya got the original idea.
    And it's obvious that old Al was a photograper:

"Mammy...
    My little Mammy.
    The sun shines east-- the sun shines west--
    I know where-- the sun shines best!"

Who woulda thunk?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin