Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 937

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Currently I'd recommend anything Hasselblad. Photography is more than just my day job and with all the camera gear I've bought over the years (SLR's, Rangefinders, Medium Format, Large Format and lenses... even the Fuji S3), they are all second hand - except for one camera - which I should've bought second hand. Rent for a week or two the ones you think you'll like best and then make your decision from there. It's important to find the right fit for you before spending money.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I started with a Leica IIIc rangefinder years ago and after going through several Canon film SLRs since then, I've been using Canon DSLRs for most of my shooting for the past 5 years. I recently got (or remembered) the MF bug and then got the LF bug not long ago. If you're not sure where you want to go with it, I'd recommend something like a 2x3 Century Graphic. I use mine all the time now with a roll film back, either 6x6 or 6x7, only very occassionally 6x9 since my enlarger can't handle it. With groundglass panel, rollfim back and an Ektar 101 lens, it should runaround $200. Far cheaper than a Hassy or even a Yashicamat 124G or Rolleiflex TLR at their inflated ebay prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    I love my Hasselblads, but a Holga is great therapy for anal-retentive types.

I use an RB for just about everything except the newspaper (where I stubbornly continue to use 35mm B&W). I think an RB is just about the best all around camera made (or RZ) with the exception of low-light no flash shooting because it is so incredibly modular. There are applications though where you must use a tripod with an RB, and forget about hand-holding it below a 60th of a second, or a 125th with a 180mm.

The Mamiya 6 &7s are nicer for hand-held work but are very limited in terms of lens availability, and they also suffer in low-light.

So RB if you don't mind the weight, or a Mamiya 6 or 7 if you don't mind primes only and only 20-24 shots and then a timely reload.

The Pentax and Mamiya 645s are also very nice. I'd say the Mamiya 645AFD is probably the fastest Medium Format camera out there, probalby the only one you could use for something like photojournalism or sports in a modern-day multiple-shots-of-everything-needed environment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gothamtomato View Post
    I love my Hasselblads, but a Holga is great therapy for anal-retentive types.
    So true.

Antje

Shooter
    Large Format
    Contax 645 and forget the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by infest View Post
    Contax 645 and forget the rest...
    Is it AF? Can you get a complete setup for under $1,000?

Great glass, bankrupting pricetag

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I highly recommend medium format rangefinders. They are all I shoot. Check out my gallery for shots I've done with my two rangefinders. I have a Mamiya 6 and a Bronica RF645. Both are unbelievable cameras!! As stated earlier though, they do have drawbacks, mainly being not good for close up portraiture (great for environmental portraiture though!), not getting exactly as you see through the viewfinder (that's why they invented cropping), and lack of a long telephoto lens. But the advantages are the greatest of all, superior portability and the SHARPEST LENSES! Certainly as good, if not better than Hasselblad glass. You'll be blown away. This is due to the design of a rangefinder vs. SLR. We won't get into that.

You really need to figure out what subject and style you're going to shoot. Medium format SLRs are great, but for me, in the field they are too heavy. I like to move quickly and alot of times work without a tripod, so for me the choice is easy. Medium format rangefinders are a perfect fit for me. You just need to find your fit.

Good luck in your search!

BTW.... I agree with the "Buy a Holga" post!

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    You really need to figure out what subject and style you're going to shoot. Medium format SLRs are great, but for me, in the field they are too heavy. I like to move quickly and alot of times work without a tripod, so for me the choice is easy. Medium format rangefinders are a perfect fit for me. You just need to find your fit.

Good luck in your search!

BTW.... I agree with the "Buy a Holga" post!
    Agreed, after 10 hours of hand-holding an RB, your arms are going to hurt, for several days afterwards. I'll take the sore arms over 35mm, or digital though :-)

F&*^ Holgas, get yourself a Lubitel! My first MF camera, will give Holga-like effects at F/5.6, but can also produce some pretty nice stuff at smaller apertures. It's a TLR, will run you about $40-50, and will shoot 120 only.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for Holga - the best $20-worth of fun I've ever had.

aparat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin