Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,693   Online: 725

Thread: Fuji 690gsw3

Just made the leap from 35mm. Bought myself a Fuji 690 gsw3. I wanted the Mamiya 7/11 but just could not aford it. Put my first roll of Fuji velvia 50asa film into my local film processor. Just holding my breath as I wait for the results.

Does any member have experience with this camera? replies would be appreciated.
    For what it's worth I paid £595.00 stirling s/h for this camera in near mint condition in the UK. How does that compare for price on similar equipment in the USA.

Jules

Jules,
    I have the standard version of the camera, with the 90mm lens and I think its terrific. It's rugged, solid and no frills in a way that's going to last forever. Both lenses are very sharp and a 6x9 negative is substantially easier to work with than a 35mm.
    Somebody once described the camera as everybody's second favorite camera and that's pretty high praise, when you think about it.
    I only have two complaints about it:
    1. the shutter fires with an annoying ping.
    2. the viewfinder seems to get moisture (from rain) inside more easily than other rangefinders I've used. but it dries out quickly with no ill effect.

the shutter is very accurate and linear up to the top speed of 1/500 which is about a half stop slow (more like 1/350).

Congratulations on your purchase. you'll be glad you went for it when you compare your transparencies to the equivalent 35mm slide.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jules,
    I also recently acquired the Fuji GSW690 III and really enjoy using it. It compliments my GW670 II very nicely.
    I paid about $150 USD less than the going rate, but if my understanding of the exchange rate is anywhere near accurate, you may have made a good purchase.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Images
    Good Evening, Jules,

Like Tom, I can only comment on the similar 670 model. His comment about the shutter noise is absolutely right; it's the only real drawback I know of. I haven't experienced the moisture problem, but I've mostly used my Fuji inside. Results with both B & W and color are extremely sharp. The presence of a "T" shutter setting is a handy feature for night shots.

As to price, I did a Buy It Now deal on E-Bay for $750 about a year ago; the camera counter indicated only 32 rolls of use, so it came in essentially new condition, and I regard it as a good deal. I haven't calculated the pound/dollar exchange amount, but the price you mention sounds very comparable.

Konical

Now that they've been discontined by Fuji, the price of used 690s is climbing. I've now seen people try to get $1400 USD for a used one which is about what they cost new.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin