Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,623   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB67 Pro s vs. Pro SD

I'm thinking about picking up one of these monsters. The price on the used market for these things is very low now, and the quality of the glass very high. Looks like a win/win situation for getting into a 6x7 SLR system. What I'd like to know is, what are the differences between the Pro S and Pro SD models? I am interested more in the Mamiya than the Pentax 67 models. The leaf shutter lenses afford much more flexibility for lighting with strobes.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found this article by Karen Nakamura, a photoethnographer, brief but informative: Mamiya RB-67 Pro

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Looks like the Pro SD might have a slight edge, if only because they are newer.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not much difference between the Pro-S and the Pro-SD. The one main difference is that the newer KL lenses will all fit the Pro-SD, but the 500mm and the 75mm shift KL will not fit the Pro-S. Otherwise, everything is interchangable between them. The Pro-SD is newer, and an older pro-S might need the foam replacing, which is an easy DIY job apart from the foam around the mirror, which is not much fun to change. The even older RB67 (no pro S or pro SD designation) does not have focus lock or double exposure prevention, and the exposure comp. scale on the side is for the older non C sekor lenses, and unless serviced is likely to have very sticky foam. Unless you want to use a 500mm KL lens or the 75 mm KL shift, I'd go for the Pro-S, they are much cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. the Pro-SD backs are nicer than the Pro-S ones as they have somewhere to store the darkslide, but that also makes them bulkier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    p.s. the Pro-SD backs are nicer than the Pro-S ones as they have somewhere to store the darkslide, but that also makes them bulkier.
    Darkslide is putted on left side on Pro-S, there is place reserved for them. So, if nothing else, place for darkslide is not reason for deciding between those two

I have Pro-S, and if have oportunity to get Pro-SD, I would rather spend money on lenses or compendium, Lee filters or else. Not that I think Pro-SD is not good, but I am happy with Pro-S and find no reason to change it.
    Last edited by haris; 05-25-2008 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the RB is an additional camera for me I went with the Pro-S with two lenses so far, a back, and wlf.

If it's going to be your main system then you might want to spend the extra and get a newer, more advanced system. If it was my only system I would want the newer lenses with improved barrels, shutters and coatings.

If I find out I like the RB system I might even sell what I have and get the newer system. I have the 645 and I like Mamiya, in a few days I'll have the RB.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Since the RB is an additional camera for me I went with the Pro-S with two lenses so far, a back, and wlf.

If it's going to be your main system then you might want to spend the extra and get a newer, more advanced system. If it was my only system I would want the newer lenses with improved barrels, shutters and coatings.

If I find out I like the RB system I might even sell what I have and get the newer system. I have the 645 and I like Mamiya, in a few days I'll have the RB.
    Curt, I started playing with the Pro-S about 25 years ago (along with a 500 cm Hassy). They're both workhorses and with a reasonable amount of care will last a good long time, even if you get 'em used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got the prism finder today and it weighs as much as a 35mm camera! Since I started with a waist level finder on my 645, before I got the eye level prism, I'm used to and actually prefer the WLF. I'll use it if I have to walk any distances.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Pro-SD backs are much better than the earlier models since they do not rely on foam seals because they have mechanical light traps. I've used both models and would go for the later model because of the better film backs. Other than that and the shift lens issue there is no big difference. Let us know which you one you brought Frank.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin