Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,023   Online: 1225

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hasselblad viewfinder variations

I have an older Hasselblad (500C). I like using the viewfinder with this camera, but I have a few questions.

Is the correction lens user replaceable? It has a bit of haze which I can't seem to get rid of. If not, I'll get another viewfinder instead.

Are the newer ones (say, for the 501 cm) different (bigger diopter or better made) and would they fit the older cameras?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The great thing about Hasselblad, is their accessories typically fit all of their cameras, except for the winders.

So any viewfinder, will fit any camera.

I have a newer PM45 that has an adjustable diopter built in, so you can adjust it as you get older and your eyesight gets worse.

It's bright and I never take it off of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The diopter value should be the same, because that's set by the screen, and your eyes.

I'm not sure if a 'WLF' diopter will fit all vintages of finder. Mine is from the '80s so I don't have that worry. You might try asking at photo.net where a number of ridiculously well-informed Hasselblad junkies still hang out in the tattered remnants of the medium format digest.

MXV in the UK have a number of WLF diopters of various strenghts at very reasonable prices, so it wouldn't cost too much to try one out. They are good to do business with. www.mxv.co.uk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Is the correction lens user replaceable? It has a bit of haze which I can't seem to get rid of. If not, I'll get another viewfinder instead.
    I don't know if the lens in the old-style could be exchanged by the user. It has been a very long time since I looked through one. But even if it was, and I think it's not, you would have a very hard time finding the right diopter. For the later wl-finder which is pulled open on a plastic tab diopters are readily available. You could as well get yourself a chimney finder with is adjustable, has an undistorted view but a bit less magnification but, on the downside, can't be folded.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was able to find another newer WLF, which has the round diopter. Well, it was no better in terms of eye relief and basically the same thing in a different package. Next up: chimney finder.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin