Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,627   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recommend a camera to a noob

Hey all. I am new to photography, I primarily use 35mm, but would like to switch to medium format. I have a couple of older TLR's (brownie six-20 and kodak duaflex II) that I use, I'm not a huge fan of the waist level viewfinders. Can anyone suggest a MF SLR available for under $400, preferably including a lens or two? Also, is there any way I can get olympus OM lenses to work on a mf slr?

Here is what I want:
    120 film
    SLR
    eye level metered viewfinder
    6x7 or larger
    $400

Am I dreaming, or is something like this actually possible to get, at that price?
    Last edited by indierthanthou; 05-29-2008 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-6X7-MEDIU...hippingPayment

Maybe this, it is a bit above my budget, but I guess I can live on bologna sandwiches for a couple of months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pentax 6x7 is an excellent camera with very good optics. What you may settle on will depend on what kind of photography you plan on doing. Mamiya RB67s are going for about $400 with WL finder, back & lens. The Bronica SQAs are going for good prices also.
    Check out KEH.com for pricing.

Good luck with your search.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your OM lenses won't work - they don't have enough coverage for the larger negatives.

For 6x7, KEH has a number of Bargain Grade Bronica GS1 outfits that meet your criteria, and are at least close to your price range.

If you are willing to consider 6x4.5, I have been happy with my Mamiya M645 Pro and Super (and I too use Olympus OM equipment for 35mm). The Mamiya is close to your price range at KEH.

Have fun!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Your OM lenses won't work - they don't have enough coverage for the larger negatives.
    I figured as much.

I am seeing several of those pentax 6x7's on ebay, I might have to pick one up. Are there any lenses I should get as well? I plan on shooting a variety of things, from buildings and landscapes to flowers and portraits and macro.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That budget might bedoable but for little more than the body at that format. You could score a load of stuff to fill out a M645j Mamiya get up if you were willing to negligibly drop in format size. Well, maybe not quite so negligible but at least it's not a drop to 35mm.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you get a Pentax 6x7:
    My most used lenses are in order:
    for landscapes 75mm (about a 35mm lens equivalent in 35mm) then the 45mm (somewhere between a 20 and 24mm equivalent in 35mm)
    for portraits 165mm 2.8 (about an 85mm equivalent in 35mm)
    for marco 135mm macro, often used with auto extension tubes

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to try a real TLR. The Brownie and the Duoflex are both really box cameras with prism viewfinders. A real TLR will focus onto a waist level ground glass. Also, some TLRs (Mamiyas and some Rolleis) can be fitted with a prism. Of course TLRs are all 6x6 or smaller (leaving aside rarities like the Gowlandflex). Options are pretty limited in 6x7 SLRs. Your choices expand very significantly if you are willing to consider smaller 120 formats, especially 6x6 and 645).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get on fleabay and look for a RB 67 Mamiya. The bodies and accessories such as the metered eye-level finder you want) are cheap, they are tanks (hard to hurt), glass is excellent and relatively inexpensive, 120 or 220 film is readily available. Format is 6 X 7 (2.25 X 2.75).

A good body can be had for <$200, a standard lens (90mm or 127mm) for <$120, backs for around $25 - $50 (120 or 220).

Their drawback is their size but - I shot a wedding with one (with a grip bracket) once. Not exactly an upper-body workout but can get old after a while.

They're really more of a studio-type camera as there are two distict motions to make when you use it - one, cock the body, and two, advance the film as the back isn't coupled like the Hassyblads are.

Even though the format is rectangular, you never have to turn the camera sideways as the back revolves.

When looking at these, the least you would want is the "Pro-S" model - not the "Pro" as many of the likeable features of the ProS were not incorporated into the earlier Pro model.

I have a Pro and two ProS bodies with quite a bit of stuff and lenses, plus a Hassyblad (500c/m) with stuff and lenses for it also. They both have their place in the grand order of things - I've not been able to part with either pile.
    Last edited by Frank Szabo; 05-30-2008 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Pentax 6x7 on ebay that you posted a link to is the older model without mirror lock up. If you decide to go with a P67, I would highly recommend that you find one with MLU. If it says 67 on the camera body rather than 6x7, then you know for sure it's the newer model with MLU. If it says 6x7 (like the one in the link), it might be an older one without MLU, or it could be a newer one with MLU. If the seller doesn't say whether or not it has MLU, the only way to tell is to look and see if it has the MLU switch on the camera. With the one in the link, the second picture shows that it doesn't have MLU.

I agree with others who recommend the RB67. I believe the best bang for the buck is with the RB, especially in the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin