Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,195   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiev 60

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Thus, I am of the opinion that it is worthwhile to initially invest in a Pentacon Six instead. They aren't that expensive, and seems to better overall.

Comparison of the two: http://www.pentaconsix.com/P6K60.htm

Pentacon Six info site: http://www.pentaconsix.com/
    When I was researching which one to purchase, a lot of comments on various sites indicate that the Pentacon 6 is even more prone to frame-spacing issues than the Kiev-60 and is more finicky about film loading. YMMV, of course.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problems with the Pentacon six (and the Kiev) usually come from improper loading and/or advancing, not from it simply being a crummily-quality-controlled camera like the Kiev. Some have problems, but they are few and far between compared to the Kiev. Read the link. I agree entirely with the author.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-01-2008 at 04:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned and used a Pentacon six for over ten years. If you load the film corrrectly (see the Pentacon web page) you get 13 evenly spaced shots on a roll of 120 with never an overlap.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had a Kiev 88 for over 3 years and, as it is stated over and over again, if you follow the actual directions to load the mags (yes I know this is a Kiev 60 thread), you get proper spacing.

The Kiev Camera body is worth having for the 30mm fisheye alone, however, this lens can also be had in other custom mounts if you look hard enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I currently have a k60, an arax 60, a pentacon 6ttl and three zeiss lenses.
    It all started with a very cheap and funky k60 that I messed around with until I got it working. Then came the zeiss lenses. Then came a brand new looking pentacon 6 ttl. After putting maybe three rolls through the pentacon, the film counter broke, and I have not been able to find anyone to repair it.
    So, along came the arax.
    My take on these is that the k60 is a good robust design that can be poorly executed. Watch out for light leaking shutter curtains. Film spacing may need to be adjusted. The arax is nicer, plus has mirror lock.
    The pentacons are much more refined. Loaded properly, film spacing was not an issue for me. Evidently the film counters break easily, and my experience is that they can be tough to get repaired. Keep in mind these puppies are old now, and likely to need repairs. That alone would steer me towards an arax.
    The zeiss lenses are wonderful; the 180 and 55 make a great mf kit.
    If interested, pm me. I would sell the outfit to you for a very reasonable amount, as I just never use it anymore.

Images
    I have a Kiev 6C, a Pentacon 6, and a Rolleicord Va. The Keiv 6C has given me good results, but it lacks the solid feel of the Pentacon and the Rolleicord. When I got the camera, the film advance lever was loose, almost falling off. Once I figured out how to get at the screw which held it on, it was a simple repair. I solved the frame overlap by setting it for 220 film. The film counter on my Pentacon quits after six frames. Other than that it works well.

I tend to use my Rolleicord, recently CLAed by Krimar Photo, considerably more than I use the other two because it is smaller and lighter. You don't say what the problem with your Rolleiflex is, but you might find it more economical, in the long run, to have it repaired.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ive always seen them as marmite...you either love them or hate them. I dont like them because of the size and weight of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I solved the frame overlap by setting it for 220 film."

I did not know that Kiev 60/6C have 220 capability. I was always told they were 120 only.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The 6C can do both, but the 60 that replaces it only does 120.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I totally love my 6C. It came in the mail just a few weeks ago; we've had good times since then. It definitely isn't pretty, or particularly well put together. But I paid $50 for a working body and prism with intentions to make it a sort of project camera. It seems fairly simply assembled, you don't need complex tools to really open the thing up. Since its arrival, I've replaced all the light seals, mirror damper, fixed the loose prism finder, stop-down pin actuator thingy, and frame counter. As for reliability. Mine has worked without a hitch so far, but that's just mine. From the russian signatures on the inside of the baseplate, it looks like it's been CLAd a few times.

Here's a picture I took of it last night.
    http://zack.loseby.net/images/kievomega.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin