Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,310   Online: 1215

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    Hi all,

I need a little sympathy... On my last trip to Berlin, I fell in love with an Agfa Billy Record II and brought it home. Since then, it has been my very able travel companion to Berlin again, to London twice, and to Knoxville, TN. Alas, after using the ancient bellows a little, it developed a pinhole. And I found the focus ring a little on the stiff side (not really smooth, nothing bad). Being a good folder owner, I sent it off for repair and a bellows replacement to a German site that Shall Not Be Named...

It came back yesterday. I drove to the UPS store to pick it up, paid 171 Euros, found the functions really nice and smooth, found the old yucky bellows in the package, too, and drove home happily. I shot a few rolls on a hike today, of course totally trusting the repair shop, and developed the first roll today. You guessed it I'm sure - every single frame on that neg is absolutely black.

It got dark here an hour ago, and we shone a flashlight through the bellows. There are three, uhm, "pinholes" in it. One of them is about 5 mm long and 2 mm wide, the others are slightly smaller.

It's childish I know, but it just makes me sad. They replaced my one-tiny-pinhole bellows with one that's just plain ripped... For 171 Euros...

On the bright side: I won an auction for one of Certo6's folders (that's Jurgen Kreckel, the folder guru). Sure, I will send the Billy in again and either get a new bellows or a big refund, but... I don't know. It hurts. Someone hurt my folder! Isn't there a Hippocratic Oath for repair shops, too? "Never do harm to anyone..."? :rolleyes:

Sorry. I think I need to get hugged now.

Antje
    For whatever reason this happen to your camera, be it carelessness or customer disdain, the name of this "business" needs to be broadcast widely before they give somebody else the "business" also.

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    For whatever reason this happen to your camera, be it carelessness or customer disdain, the name of this "business" needs to be broadcast widely before they give somebody else the "business" also.

Frank
    I disagree. This business needs the opportunity to make it right. Life isn't black and white, life is a whole pallet of gray.

A will surely let us know if they do make it right in the end.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Antje - can your husband tell the folders apart? I guess when one is blue it does stand out. I don't know how many I have, so I doubt my wife can tell. She does count the empty boxes in the garage, however. I think some get counted more than once when I move them around!
    My Significant Other can't tell the difference between a B&J 5x7 field camera and an 8x10 Deardorff. Nor between a 3x4 Speed and a 4x5 Crown, nor a 2x3 Speed or a 2x3 Crown, not even between one of the seeming dozen Zeiss Folders placed here or there. This is good.

2500 sq ft of living space plus a studio has it's advantages.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Antje - can your husband tell the folders apart? I guess when one is blue it does stand out. I don't know how many I have, so I doubt my wife can tell. She does count the empty boxes in the garage, however. I think some get counted more than once when I move them around!
    Yes, he can actually spot a new one quickly. I have two Yashica GSNs, and he recognized the new one after two days! I'm quite proud of him.

Then the recipient had to ransom the items from his local customs agent who was sure they were priceless...which they were not...
    I had the same problem when I bought a Holga. "WHAT?!? You say it's only 15 Euros? Yeah, right." I was able to convince the agent that it's all plastic and, on top of it, it only takes film. That sold him in the end. :rolleyes:

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I disagree. This business needs the opportunity to make it right. Life isn't black and white, life is a whole pallet of gray.

A will surely let us know if they do make it right in the end.

tim in san jose
    It's off to the shop again, let's see what comes out of it... I figured that the bellows got ripped partly because it doesn't fit well. There's a little spring on the bottom of the camera that operates the "cap" (don't know how to call it), and that one ripped wholes into the bottom part of the bellows. There are several smaller ones on the top, though, that look like just plain wear. It's probably a mix of the bellows being older than they thought and not really fitting.

Like you said, they've done a great job on my Blad before, and they'll certainly make it right!

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Vodafone/1.0/HTC_Mercury/3.54.162.2)

OK, here's the update! The Record is back, they replaced the bellows for free. It looks really good, I pulled a film through yesterday and there are no light leaks whatsoever. I'm happy. Took the folder to New Orleans with me today, and I'm so glad the little cam is back in business!

Thanks for all the hugs and sympathy.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Vodafone/1.0/HTC_Mercury/3.54.162.2)

OK, here's the update! The Record is back, they replaced the bellows for free. It looks really good, I pulled a film through yesterday and there are no light leaks whatsoever. I'm happy. Took the folder to New Orleans with me today, and I'm so glad the little cam is back in business!

Thanks for all the hugs and sympathy.

Antje

Can life get any better? A renewed folder, and New Orleans. I'll be there in the middle of July.

BTW - The Crawfish Ettouffee at the Gumbo Shop is to die for. I don't eat anything else at that establishment, but the Ettouffee is great. Do a Sunday morning Jazz Breakfast at Arnaud's, don't miss the bananas foster (made at your table). Other places not to miss are Tujaques, muffelletas at the Napolean House, and fresh raw oysters at Acme Oyster House.

tim in san jose

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin