Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,044   Online: 1249

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 77mm or bust

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, perhaps I should clarify, the IR and UV filters that interest me are prohibitively expensive in 77mm. Basic filters should be easy enough and not too expensive. But still, I think there are some potential benefits of rear-mounting the filters.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Used. I'd also suggest looking at the 82mm with a step down. The two tend to have about the same prices but sooner or later you end up with some 82mm lenses. Above 82mm prices soar.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check Calumet's online auction site store.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you're shooting a LOT of IR, I'd get a 4" gel and a Cokin. It's just not worth the price for the glass IR filters at that size unless it's all you shoot.

For commonly used yellow, orange and red I'd go for the 77mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you don't mind Hoya and the like, try http://www.camerafilters.com. A 77mm double-coated color filter will be about $40 and will most likely be in stock. I ordered from them about a year ago and was very pleased with their service, especially after hitting the wall with the big online dealers being out of stock and quoting 6-8 weeks for delivery.

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Keith is right, I have the 90mm and the 180mm lenses now and my extensive collection of 58mm filters, I have a Mamiya 645 setup, fit on the back of the lenses just fine. I have a Polarizer that I bought for my Schneider 210mm lens that I use on the front, 77mm, and have been using the 58's on the rear, odd coincidence that the Mamiya RB67 front is 77mm as is my Schneider and the rear is the same outer diameter. I'll just double up until I get the 77mm filters for ease of use. Imagine buying the same collection in 77mm; eight color balancing, three reds, three yellows, two greens, uv, pl, sky, and some other one's including all of the special effect filters like start burst, soft focus etc. It would cost me a bunch of that green stuff. Thanks for all of the advice.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was mistaken, the 90mm rear element housing extends too far into the camera body to allow for the mounting of a filter.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For IR I use a cokin IR filter on my RB, works fine and it's not expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should add that it's the cokin P system I use. I've moved up to Lee 100mm system now, but still use some cokin filters (including the IR) in the cokin P mounts that Lee supplies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll check out the Cokin and Lee systems. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin