Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,845   Online: 964

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Well thank you to everyone for your thoughts. Sorry I'm so late to reply but I'm in Australia, that doesn't mean we're slow, just time reversed. There's some really great advice here and ideas. I'm not super super keen on a RF I have to say but something in the posts has drawn my attention and that is the TLR Rolleiflex. Interestingly I've never never even considered this camera probably due to its age, not that that has anything to do with what it can produce, far from it. Ideally I would buy a Blad. I have used them before and love the camera but have some practice to do to become comfortable with it. I'm figuring that the Rolleiflex may be an excellent intro. into this kind of photography and would help me to eventually ease into a Blad. If anyone is able to share any more info on this camera I'd be appreciative. They are reasonably priced on ebay and might just fit the bill for now. I have a beautiful Canon F1 in excellent condition to compliment and some primes. i was shooting on a 5D and still have it but have been drawn seriously back to film. Only film holds the magic for me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In regards to the Rolleiflex, my thread "Rolleiflex in E.U." (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/4...iflex-e-u.html) has pleanty of information.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Rollei TLR's for almost 30 years. They are wonderful street cameras; silent, easy to shoot without being noticed. You can prefocus and aim by just glancing down into the viewfinder. I've taken pictures of people from four feet away without them knowing. The lenses are excellent. If the screen is dim, replace it with a Maxwell or Intenscreen and focusing will be much easier. I've shot everything from portraits to horse races with a TLR.
    Some people don't like the square format because "you have to crop it." On the contrary, I consider that an advantage. I tend to shoot a lot of verticals, and with most rectangular format cameras, you have to turn them sideways to shoot verticals. A square format offers the opportunity to crop either vertical or horizontal without changing the orientation of the camera. This is a real advantage when using a tripod.
    And you just might prefer to compose for a square...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Arigram and Eddym. I will check the thread. I love the square format, I like square images and I love composing in the space.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you have to crop it? Just print square...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    the Rolleiflex SL 66 system is amazing!
    I've had Hasselblad, but try that a lot of times, then try Rolleiflex SL66 once, and you will be convinced...

Zeiss lenses - interchangable cassettes - easier focusing - lenses on a bellow, so you can get up close as a default - reverse the lens on the camera, and you can go even closer - tilting the lens (great for landscape, Ive heard..), and so on..

to me it is the best system ever made.

look here: http://www.sl66.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like a C-series Mamiya with a WLF, personally. It is durable, cheap, quiet, etc. It is one of the most versatile cameras I have used. The newer the model, the lighter it will be, generally. Mine is a C-33. I would not call it light, but it is by no means a burden. I love a leaf shutter whenever possible.

For SLRs, I prefer Mamiya 645 to Hasselblad, as you get good enough quality at a much lower price. Not a major notable difference if you crop your Hassy negs to non square anyhow. No denying Hassys are great cameras, but I would only want to use them if I was shooting square format to actually print square format...and everything for them is expensive. Some day maybe...but I really am happy with 645 SLRs and 6x6 TLRs for now. The next step for me will be an RB system, not a Hassy. IMO this system is superior to Hassy, hands down...but you wanted 6x6, not 6x7.

Then there are Kievs, Pentacons, etc...basically 6x6 Pentax 67s. The biggest disadvantage is the lack of interchangeable magazines and the general shape/bulk. I like these cameras but would prefer a Hassy if I wanted/needed an SLR, and could afford it. They have so many advantages, mostly shape and magazines...not to mention build quality and lenses.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-06-2008 at 07:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Gandolfi, looks interesting too. I'm checking it out now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks 2F. The Mamiya 645 look like nice cameras but I'm really chasing that square.

Shooter
    35mm
    Arigram, I'm carefully working through that thread. Are you happy with your choice?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin