Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,634   Online: 899

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya C33 Focusing Screen Query

My father has recently bought a fair amount of Mamiya C33 and C330 parts which means he now has a C330 and C330S. Out of the remaining parts I have put together for myself a C33 with 80mm lens and I have taken the best (least marked) of the C33 focusing screens.

My question is about spacing of the focusing screen. I thought that the 80mm lens was at infinity focus with the bellows at minimum extension. i.e. wound right back to the body, but the focusing screen only shows infinity focus with the bellows out about 2mm.

In between the screen and the body is a black fibre strip with three holes and there are two washers spacing off the other two screw positions.

Am I missing something or does winding the bellows rack right in actually focus past infinity?

Thanks,

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Racking the bellows all the way in is not related to the lens being at infinity. The infinity focus point of the bellows is different across various lenses. Take a 135mm lens, and you'll find that infinity focus involves racking the bellows out quite significantly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to get a piece of ground-glass, take the back off focus the lenses at infinity on the groundglass, obviously you need the viewing screen/viewing lens to match the focus of the ground-glass/taking lens.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 06-08-2008 at 05:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did do the ground glass test yesterday (quickly) and I thought it was focusing at infinity fully racked in. Doing it again this morning and being a bit more critical, it does appear that infinity focus for this lens is slightly forward on the rack.

Time for a test roll of film wide open to see if I'm getting what I am expecting.

Like I need another camera!!

Steve
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film plane to lensboard plane with a particular lens will be the same for all models of the camera. If you can prise one of the C330's from your father, get some measurements. The screens on these cameras have to be shimmed to align them to the film plane distance.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin