Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,384   Online: 951

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

beginner medium format camera

Hallo,

I know it is an old chestnut but I intend to move in to medium format photography.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new camera. I use a nikon fm3a normally and shoot in b/w.
    Ideally, I'd buy a broncia RF. I enjoy shooting people on the street. But I can't afford it. And so..for perhaps half the price...what camera should I look at? (my favourite lens in 35mm photography is a 40mm).

I am very grateful for any suggestions.

cheers Mel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most people will probably recommend a cheap TLR. Perhaps something like a Yashica. That was how I got started in medium format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plenty of Twin Lens Reflexes on the used market. Then there are the Russian and Chinese medium format cameras. Check with Lomographics.

For the money, a used Mamiya 6 or 7 rangefinder camera would be great for street shooting.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLR's are great, light, compact, unobtrusive. Reflex viewing may be a bit of a learning experience though. Most are fixed-lens and will be a bit tighter than a 40 on a 35mm.
    A rangefinder folder might be a good choice, they are inexpensive compared to the interchangeable lens MF rangefinders, and light and compact, at least when folded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya 645's are ridiculously cheap second-hand, very reliable, excellent lenses and great ton use hand-held.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would second the cheap TLR approach and suggest maybe a cheap Fuji rangefinder, but you'd need to like RF's

Marcus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello,
    Me I started with a Kiev (model: Kiev 88). It is a russian medium format camera (6x6), very similar to Hasselblads.
    I made a lot of pictures with it and I was never disappointed.
    I think it is quite cheap, and it is solid and sturdy.
    Ciao
    Carlo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also consider a folding camera. They may be even cheaper than a TLR, are more compact and you don't need to worry about reflex viewing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I second the folder.

Among the best are the late Zeiss Ikon Super Ikontas, with coupled rangefinder. Just behind that are the Zeiss Ikon Ikontas, with no rangefinder. Another nice one is the Daiichi Zenobia, especially the late ones with coated Neo-Hesper lenses. BTW - the Zeiss Ikons come with Tessar lenses, and the later ones are coated, too.

And there are several Voigtländers, Weltas, Agfas, and so on. All very good cameras for very little money!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll throw in a vote for a Fuji GA645 - I have one and really like it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin