Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,543   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic

Hellos, I have film holders and sheet film on the way! What I am wondering is what backs are available for it.

I saw a post that said 22 and 23 backs are available. Will any 23 back fit or does it specifically call for a 23 back made for a 2 x 3 camera? I would like a back that holds several sheets of film at once and one to use 120 film with.

I've asked a couple of sellers on a famous auction site and none of them knew for sure which back I needed.

Is there a source for color sheet film or will I need to cut my own from larger film or should I use the 120 and be happy with it?

And finally what is the thickness of the factory lens boards? My camera didn't come with one.

These cameras are so awesome and I find myself looking at others before I've even shot the first film in it!!

Thanks for any advice!!

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    First off, for sheet film, if you're interested in FP4+, run don't walk to The View Camera Store to get in on the Ilford special order for FP4+ in this format, since the pre-order period is going to close at the end of the month, I believe. You can find their link in the "Sponsors" section. If you're not in the US, there are other dealers participating in the Ilford special order for custom sizes who can probably get the film, but The View Camera Store has been combining orders for this size in particular, so within the US or if you don't otherwise have a participating dealer in your country, it's probably easiest to use them.

Color you'll have to cut down and most likely process yourself, so unless you're regularly doing that, rollfilm may be easier.

You need backs made specifically for a 2x3 camera that uses a Graflok type attachment. Graphic and I think RB67 backs work, but not Linhof 23 backs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are roll film backs available for the 2x3 Graphics which are usable without modification if you have a "Graflock" back. This consists of two chrome pieces top and bottom on the back that unhook and allow the removal of the ground glass and focussing hood. There are two sliding brackets that will then attach an alternate back to the camera. If you do not have a Graflock back it is still possible to use other backs; but it would require some modifications, which, although not difficult, would make it unfeasible (in my opinion) to switch back and forth from cut film back to roll film back.
    Assuming that you have a Graflock back, there are available what are called "Grafmatic" backs which attach to the camera and hold 6 sheets of cut film in individual septums.
    A roll film back would need to be one designed for the small Graphic.
    As for the lens board, unless you have one of the earlier models of this camera, it will require a metal lens board with a lip that fits into a goove in the lens standard.
    You might want to check out graflex.org, it is an excellent source of information regarding these sorts of cameras.
    Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    The APUG link in sponsors section doesn't work. Try View Camera Store Also, for some reason they are not advertising Ilford FP-4 in 2 1/4X3 1/4 size. You need to call them to place this special order size.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zing, I second the motion that you should visit www.graflex.org and work your way through the FAQs.

There are, practically speaking, two models of 2x3 Speed Graphic: Miniature Speed Graphic, 1938-1946; 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 1947 - 1963 or so. These two have focal plane shutters. There are also two similar cameras without focal plane shutters: 2x3 Pacemaker Crown Graphic, 1947 - 1963 or so; Century Graphic, 1949 -1970. I mention them because people, especially eBay sellers, use the words "Speed Graphic" very loosely.

The Mini Speed uses a stepped wooden board. I've never needed one, but people insist they're easy to make. Pacemakers, including the Century, use a metal board with a lip. One source for them is www.skgrimes.com.

The Graflok back was introduced in 1949. The Century Graphic has an integral Graflok back; 1949 and later 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics offered the Graflok as an alternative to the standard spring back. Graflok backs were sold for retrofitting to earlier 2x3 Graphics. All of the backs for 2x3 Graphics interchange; I removed the Graflok now on my 1947 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic from a Miniature Speed Graphic.

Graflex offered 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 (6x6), 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 (6x7), and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6x9) roll holders to fit 2x3 Graflok backs. These holders can't be used with a spring back.

There is, though, a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6x9) roll holder that slips in like a sheet film holder and can be used on most, if not all, 2x3 press cameras with spring backs. Also on 2x3 Graphics with Grafloks. This is the Adapt-A-Roll 620. It was made for 620 film (same film and backing paper as 120, but on spools with narrower axles). The AAR 620 will feed perfectly well from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. I use AAR 620s because they will give 9 shots per roll instead of the usual 8 if loaded carefully. Since 620 spools are uncommon, I respool exposed film on to a 120 spool before sending it to the lab. That's what changing bags are for.

There are no sources for 2x3 color sheet film. If you want 2x3 color sheet film, you'll have to cut down a larger size. Just use roll film.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any idea of the price for FP4? The HP5 is $25.00 per 25 sheet box. I Glaziers going to put in an order for FP4?

Curt
    Last edited by Curt; 06-11-2008 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Alas, it's also about $25 a box. Glazers is doing the TMY order. I don't know if they're also in on the Ilford order. You can e-mail Dennis at info@viewcamerastore.com to place an order with them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the help! I looked very closely at the area where the bottom of a lens board will go and it looks like there will have to be an indention in the bottom center of the board for one to fit. It has a focal plane shutter also.

Again,many thanks

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on the model. I have one that was made in the 40s, and it has a fixed back that will only take standard sheet film holders. Later models have Graflok backs, and they will accept roll film holders (6X6 and 6X9) also. I seem to recall that a Polaroid roll film back was briefly available, but the film for that has been unavailable for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on which era 2x3 Speed you have. If wood, I usually make 1/4 inch thick boards with a 1/8 by 1/8 cutout on the edges. Metal, you need to look around for those.

You need to get a graphmatic for your B&W 2.25x3.25 film, black and white only. If you have permanent spring type back, you need stay with B&W or cut your own.
    If you have a graflock back, 120 is the way.

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin