Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,415   Online: 1069

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just did some pricing and I can get a Bronica SQAi body and a 80mm lens both rated EX from KEH for $361 and a WLF in nice conidtiion from the bay for $150. KEH is out o fthe WLF and I would prefer the WLF to a prism finder anyway. Pretty darn tempting

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    The 150mm sucks and the 210 is pointless.
    Are you serious? The 150 is perhaps my favourite lens on the Mamiya 6. I really value being able to see around my composition and the 150 I use is maybe the very sharpest lens that I possess, with possible exception of the 50 which is a distortionless widewonderlens. The 75 is the slight disappointment in the Mamiya 6 line, it's not up to the lofty standards of the 80 for the 7/7ii systems and as a portrait lens I'd prefer it be at least one stop faster. Ah well, you can't have everything, but you can waste many years looking for something that does everything!

The 210 would be for scale focusing, which is pretty much how I work with the RFs anyway (hyperfocally, I mean), so I don't see why it's pointless.

Overall, in terms of detail captured per pound of camera lugged, the Mamiyas and the Fuji RFs are in their own class- certainly something to consider if portability is the main issue.

If movements are moderately essential then consider how much you can to correct perspective either at an enlarger or digitally. These RFs deliver jaw-dropping levels of detail to slide, you won't be short of detail to work with. Coming from 4x5, these are systems that won't disappoint.

The main shortcoming of these MF RFs is close focus and, if you are a bokeh-lover, they really aren't fast enough for what you might want. But I have resorted to putting mamiya 6 chromes on my enlarger, using tilts there while enlarging to LF film, and... it's good fun.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't they have a kit in stock? Might be cheaper. 150 for a WLF? Expensive isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Don't they have a kit in stock? Might be cheaper. 150 for a WLF? Expensive isn't it?
    All the kits come with a metered prism and a motor drive and I'm not interested in either. The WLF looks to be brand new w/a box in 'new' shape but you are right-that is a lot of money. I can get a BGN prism finder w/o a meter for $49 or an EX one for $84 from KEH but I really like WLFs
    Last edited by scott k; 06-11-2008 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My view is from using a 150 on the Mamiya 7, not the Mamiya 6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scott k View Post
    Wow! that says a lot. Are you exaggerating or are you serious? The only advantage of the Mamiya RB/RZ would be the macro capabilities. I also like macro a lot but I realize that not one camera system will fit all needs. Is the Mamiya 7 really THAT good? I would like to check one out but I'm kind of isolated here and have never seen one in person. It seems like a lot of cash for 6x7 but if it is as good as 4x5 it might be worth it. If I sold off my 4x5 gear I could get the Mamiya 7 and lighten my load quite a bit but it seems like a hell of a gamble.

Scott
    I have a Hassy system.

I also have a pair of Mamiya 7 II 6x7 cameras with an assortment of lenses (one body for color, one for Black and White). I shoot with the Mamiyas - the Hassy sits at home.

I also have a Crown Graphic 2.25" x 3.25" and some excellent lenses. I'd rather schlep and shoot with the Crown than the Hassy.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an RB67 and I love it. Yes it's heavy. No it's not too heavy for me to take it and a couple of lenses and a tripod on an 8 mile hike. Honestly I really don't understand it when people say it's too heavy to carry around. Granted, there are times when I want to travel lighter or my RB setup isn't practical for the situation and thats when I take my M645 Super.

As has been mentioned, you shouldn't try to solve everything with one camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My suggestion would also lean towards the RB67. Heavy, yes. But... they also have a lens to consider that is wonderful for architectural photography or landscapes with structures... and... you won't fully loose the movements offered on your 4x5. Take a look at the Mamiya 75mm K/L Tilt/Shift lens. Rather pricey and not seen all that often used, but offers enough movements to straighten lines on buildings. Oh.... only fits on the later versioned RB67 Pro-SD, or other versions for the RZ's... and... it's a heavy bugger.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    I have an RB67 and I love it. Yes it's heavy. No it's not too heavy for me to take it and a couple of lenses and a tripod on an 8 mile hike. Honestly I really don't understand it when people say it's too heavy to carry around. Granted, there are times when I want to travel lighter or my RB setup isn't practical for the situation and thats when I take my M645 Super.

As has been mentioned, you shouldn't try to solve everything with one camera.
    I have a really good LowePro backpack for my RB and it makes all the difference. I pack the RB with two backs, 3 lenses (90, 127, 180), spotmeter, incident meter, various odds and ends. I also carry a Manfrotto tripod that is reasonably light. That's a pile to lug around, but as long I am not expected to look fresh and clean at a dinner party after I shoot, it's fine. I would still love to try a Mamiya 7, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the Mamiya Super 23 and Universal for older generation good users in the field. With some holders you can use 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 formats. Also, with the Universal you can use Polariod. And the system has lenses from 50mm up to 250mm. The Super 23 has a bellows in the back for closeup work, too. More modern, the RB67 is a great system that has a macro capability with a bellows in the camera body. The Rollei SL66 system has macro capability and some limited movements for the camera lens, but is somewhat more expensive. I like 4x5 even though it is somewhat more time consuming to use to use than a 6x7 which can get up to 20 shots on 220 film.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin