Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,390   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Triotar or xenar

I have a Rolleicord II K3 in excellent condition and scrapped a beat up later model for the screen and mirror. The question is should I or can I also exchange the lenses as the scrap camera had a xenar in great condition. The exsisting Triotar is spotless also.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Are you going to take color or bw?

Xenar, Rolleiflex T

Triotar, Rolleicord II

Xenar is more modern lens, sharper to the corners, more contrasty and better in color. But Triotar is also nice lens for soft tone. It makes good portrait with beautiful bokeh, but it makes flare very often as well. I like both and it would be hard for me to decide.
    Last edited by butterflydream; 06-17-2008 at 06:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo correction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xenar hands down over the triotar. The triotar is a triplet, the Xenar is a Tessar-type 4 element design.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    Xenar is more modern lens, sharper to the corners, more contrasty and better in color. But Triotar is also nice lens for soft tone. It makes good portrait with beautiful bokeh, but it makes flare very often as well. I like both and it would be hard for me to decide.
    Very well said.

My Rolleicord has a Xenar, and it's a really excellent lens with a lot of character, your basic good example of a Tessar-type lens. But I think the potential of good triplets is really underrated, and a Triotar should be reliably a good triplet. My inclination would be to leave the original body and lens together unless there's a specific reason *not* to, but it's really a judgement call.

-NT

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Carl Zeiss Triotar is a well-designed triplet.

As others have pointed out, the Xenar is a four-element Tessar-type design and performs much like a Tessar. Very sharp with round out-of-focus areas when shot wide open to about f/5.6 at medium distances.

If you make the swap, you must ensure that the lens is collimated correctly to ensure accurate focusing at infinity and other distances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere I have a Triotar, off a long gone Rolleicord, it wasn't a bad lens, even with E6, but I'd far rather have a Xenar or modern (50's onwards) Tessar.

If you can set the Xenar up to focus correctly then you'll have a great camera, capable of excellent results.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are they both the same focal length? If not, you may need to change the viewing lens as well. Probably a good idea anyway.

Steve.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't exchange the lenses. You would have to adjust the focus. The Triotar is one of the best three element lenses, soft fully open and very sharp stopped down. If you want a Rolleicord with Xenar, they aren't that expensive. I've had three Rolleicords with Xenar. Two of the Xenars were bad, and lacked the biting sharpness (yes they were checked and collimated). I have five Rolleicords with Triotar at the moment, and all of them are very good. Only the 3,8 Triotar on my Rolleicord I is soft.

Triotar 4,5/75mm:
    Last edited by JPD; 09-24-2008 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your input I think I'll keep the original camera as is now that I have a mirror and focus screen for it from the scrapped unit.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin