Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,537   Online: 953

Shooter
    35mm RF

what is it? (a weird Rolleiflex bug)

I'm getting this wierd thing in the last frames. Sometimes in the 11th frame.
    Always at the same side. I think it happens only when using relatively open apertures (5.6 and below).
    I though it was a flare and started to use a hood. It didn't help.
    The camera I'm using is Relleiflex 3.5E with Xenotar 75/3.5
    An idea? Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like a light leak caused by poor light seals. Kinda unusual for a rollie. Is the back locking up tight when you close it? If the camera was dropped or bumped hard enough, it may have jarred the back out of alignment which would cause the light leak.

It could also be the tension with which the camera rolls the film. If not tight enough, you may get light leaks on the last frame when you remove the film from the camera.

Rick
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

It's fog, most likely caused by light entering from the back. I had a similar problem with my Yashica 124 G TLR, only it occurred on early frames in the roll. I'm no expert on Rolleis though.

You can find the leak by holding the negative upside-down and mirror-reversed over the image-taking area.

Look where the streaks are - that will tell you where the problem is. First, make sure the back is closing properly, and there are no dents or holes around the edge of the back.

Check around the edge of the camera body's back, especially around the image area - if it's anything like my Yash there'll be some black string or other seal in the groove at the back. If it's an older camera, there might be a perished rubber seal. Replace this with new black string. This is what i did to cure mine.

If that doesn't help, you might suspect light leaking into the body from the focussing platform or the taking lens, although that problem caused more circular fogging in my older Yash 635.

If you're unsure, take the camera to a service centre with a print and have them sort it out.

HTH.
    Last edited by kevs; 06-22-2008 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarifying.
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you guys!
    Actually, this time, our friends in RFF spotted the bug precisely.
    Thank you for being helpful and hope my link helps!
    Good night
    Assaf

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For the most part, German cameras don't use foam seals. However, it sounds like you've had the problem deciphered.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin