Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,180   Online: 722

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Concerning the size of Mamiya TLRs

It's surprising how actually holding a camera in your hands shatters your perceptions of it from what you read in the online forums.

After a bad experience with a used Rolleiflex, I decided to go for a Mamiya TLR system, being less expensive in the long run and easier to get repaired in my area.

I received today a C330 with the 105mm f3.5 DS lens, and because I intend this to be my main MF camera, it will probably replace the Yashica D I've been using so far.

In the meantime, I took pictures of both side by side. The Yashica is lighter than a Rolleiflex, and a tad smaller. It's an excellent TLR, but the lens quality has its limits!

The Mamiya C3xx series has the reputation of being a "boat anchor." Well, it sure is heavier, but to be honest, it's not the monster that some comments make it to be. It's not a Gowlandflex 4x5 TLR!

So I hope these little snaps will give you an idea; the Mamiya is marginally bigger than the Rolleiflex/Yashica TLR, although it is heavier. But it's not a brute like a RZ, nor is so heavy that handholding it is unwieldy. It's perfectly capable as a handheld camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01310001.jpg   01310003.jpg   01310004.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is remarkable how small and light a 3 lens kit is.....especially when you consider the tiny tripod you can get away with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The left hand trigger grip makes it a really good camera for me for fast action (like weddings). I am, however, very left handed!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny you should make this comparison. For a while I had my wife's Yashica D, my dad's erstwhile Rollieflex, and my C220 on a shelf together side by side. At the moment the Yashica D, and the Rollie still sit there, but ever since we bought a prism finder for the Mamiya, I use that camera a lot, and when it sits, it sits in a bag with 3 lenses, several rolls of film, and a spot meter all ready to go out the door with me. Of the three camera systems I use (P67, Shen Hao, and C220) it's the lightest, sits happily on a Bogen 3001 'pod with a small Bogen ball head, and occupies the smallest bag of all. And to think I was going to sell it a while ago... Yikes!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The left hand trigger grip makes it a really good camera for me for fast action (like weddings). I am, however, very left handed!

Matt
    Yes, this is how I use my C330. The trigger grip makes it far easier to use. Blights
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love mine. I think it is a beautifully designed camera.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format

Me too,

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Matt
    I've been using Mamiya TLRs for longer than I care to remember, and like Matt am also left handed, I agree with him entirely, the left hand L grip improves the handling no end, especially since the camera with the bellows extended is front heavy, even more so with a telephoto lens pair attached, it enables you to wind on and focus with your right hand, and fire the shutter with your left index finger, while resting the camera on your right palm, you can hold it very steady, the prism is very handy too, if you want to develop muscles like a Russian shot putter !! .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I picked up a C330 recently, which came with a pistol grip. I've run a couple of rolls through it, and I like the camera generally. However, with just the WLF, I find the pistol grip awkward to hold (ends up being too low to hold comfortably) - is this just me or am I doing something wrong?

I'm now tempted to get a prism finder for it, and now that you mention it, possibly the L grip as well, if it improves the experience that much (although I'm right-handed).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recently acquired a C22. Its a monster around the neck, but its become my walk-about camera. Combined with the new T-Max 400, I'm easily getting 16" prints with good resolution & no grain.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Pistol Grip with a C330 and WLF? You must have strong wrists! An 'L' grip for the left hand, or just hold the camera with your left hand supporting the left side and base. Neckstraps are good for steadying and controlling the camera. I often put it on a monopod.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin