Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,190   Online: 1224

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Flash sync on my Rollei 3.5F -- can this be right?

I've got a Rollei 3.5F (SN2282038) f/3.5 75mm Planar, and it seems to me that the flash synch "choice lever" on this camera is a bit weird. As you look at the front of the camera, to the left of the viewing lens is the small lever that allows you to choose bulb sync (lever near lens), X sync (lever above and touching the little metal post), and then you can push it all the way counter-clockwise for the self-timer.

What strikes me as odd and fraught with danger is the little quasi-spring loaded knob on the lever that is supposed to maintain contact with the metal post for X-sync. The ability of the camera to sync properly relies entirely on that little knob remaining in contact with the little metal post. You'd think there would be some more positive way of ensuring that contact isn't broken as the camera is being tossed around.

Does anyone have any views on this? Is there a piece missing from my Rollei? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Duct tape it down? I think that was a common solution to other cameras with an X Sync selector.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    An awful lot of people glued their little synch selector/self timer thing to the camera to keep it from moving. It's caught me before. For some wedding photos of course..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This little lever caused the worst disaster in my entire photographic career: the loss of a couple's 50th wedding anniversary photos!
    And the worst part was that it gave no warning of its failure. It's not actually the metal post that makes the x-synch contact; it just keeps it from moving to M. In my case, the contact was actually made when the lever was just a little bit away from the post. But I learned that later; I didn't know it was not synching that day until I got the clear film back. Most difficult phone call I ever made in my life...
    So after that I used a tiny piece of gaffer's tape to hold the lever away from the post, but not engage the self-timer. And I checked the flash synch before each job by looking through the taking lens to be sure I could see the flash fire. In fact, I learned to do that with very camera I own. It was a hard lesson, but a valuable one.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks everyone. That's an interesting point that the post is not there as an electrical contact, but to stop the lever from moving toward the lens into M sync. I'll run a test to see if I keep the lever to the left of the post, but not touching it, whether it will flash. I suppose it's possible that coincidentally the point where the lever permits X sync is the same point where it touches the post, hence my belief that the touching was key.

I do remain baffled how Rollei let something like this come into the marketplace on one of the final iterations of their TLR line.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin