Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,986   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it is a Rolleiflex, then some of the models had an optional prism that you could put on them. Probably cost you as much as a nice Mamiya RB or RZ system, but it might be more valueable to you than just simply functional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would recommend the Mamiya 7 or 6. I have a couple of the Fujis - the 6x7 and 6x9 w/wide angle. But for street photogy, I think the Mamiyas are more flexible and a lighter system.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

After hearing some of the suggestions and talking to some other people I figured I would look into these two types

Mamiya RZ/RB
    Bronica SQ series

They seem to fit my budget and practical needs.

Before I head out and do a search for this here, can I hear some opinions of what would work best for me in terms of working with street photography.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sagelike; 06-25-2008 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong model name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RB/RZ is not going to be light for street. It might be fun, and attract people, but it won't be light!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    RB/RZ is not going to be light for street. It might be fun, and attract people, but it won't be light!
    So Bronica is the way to go then huh?!

Hmmmm.....

I was looking into the rangefinders. But the price and the fact that I would have to figure out where my frame is because of the viewfinder kinda kills the deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also go with a TLR and prism, Rollei or Mamiya, depending on your budget/availability if you want 6x6. Bronica models (6x6 or 645) should work with prisms too. In the realm of 645, you could also go with a Mamiya 645AF.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    You could also go with a TLR and prism, Rollei or Mamiya, depending on your budget/availability if you want 6x6. Bronica models (6x6 or 645) should work with prisms too. In the realm of 645, you could also go with a Mamiya 645AF.
    I am still looking into a prism for my Rolleicord. But in terms of street photography and catching those quick shots it would still be too clunky.
    I need something that essentially handles like a 35mm.

Now isn't the thing with the 645's that they measure 6x4.5cm, as in the Mamiya 645 and Bronica 645?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    However I would like to get another MF with a regular viewfinder.

In eye level viewfinder and also stays as close as possible to 6X6 format.

The Ukrainian Kiev 88 or its most modern version comes with a prism finder with a meter in it, in addition to the WL. I bought one years ago to see if I could be comfortable with a Hasselblad-shaped camera before I sprung big bucks. As an old TLR, WL finder fiend, I just was not sure about using it with the eye level prism, since I have a Pentax 6x7 I just love. I found the "Hasselbladski" so much fun to use, I just have not gotten around to replacingit. I did add a rapid wind crank--cost about forty-five bucks from Arax. Considering that you can buy the outfit for about four hundred bucks, including shipping, it's really a pretty good deal, since it includes two backs, and a set of filters as well. And I must admit to a certain reverse snob appeal shooting with it. Kiev camera in GA sells them, checked for quality control, with a return guarantee if not satisfied. Mine came from overseas. It's been ok for me. Google RuGift if you want to deal overseas. They have been very good for me and Arax has a great reputation as well.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagelike View Post
    Now isn't the thing with the 645's that they measure 6x4.5cm, as in the Mamiya 645 and Bronica 645?
    The negatives; not the camera!

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rolleicords did not have a prism, only the Rolleiflex as far as I know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin