Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,572   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium Format Folding Camera

Yesterday I received a beautiful 1950s Agfa Isolette 6 x 6cm folding camera which looked almost like new. I also ordered some Ilford b&w film. Since going digital a few years ago I am sorry to say I have taken very few serious photographs. I simply joined the craze of digital snapping and deleting. I 'captured' some great family 'images' that I really should get printed up before the hard-disk and CD back ups fail but I'm now looking forward to getting back into film. I have to blame all the simple things in life such as digital photography for contributing to the stressful life we all now lead - everything must be done in a hurry. I look forward to taking some nice photographs and using the post office again to snail mail my stuff off to Peak Imaging!

In October a local publisher is publishing over 15 B&w portraits I shot on my Rolleiflex in 1989-93 of local characters, almost all whom are dead now. You never get that buzz with digital, do you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG.

Earlier this week I received an Ansco Agfa Isolette as a kind gift from another member here. Mine too looks almost new and works perfectly (Ansco was the US distributor. Ansco Cameras were just re-branded Agfas).

It is a great lightweight camera to take out on walks. And great to own one again as my first camera was an Isolette when I was eleven years old (32 years ago).

Many people here (Including me) have had a brief trial with digital but returned to film.

As you mention Peak Imaging, Would I be correct to think you are UK based?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.
    I am in N.Ireland. I am going to Lake District next weekend and the Agfa is coming with me. Nothing beats the fun of film photography. Looking forward to catchingup on years of film fun again here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ragtime Clown, please do me a favor and let me know whether you can read the Ilford frame numbers through the little red window on the Isolette. They used to be almost impossible to read, and I'm wondering whether they have made any improvements in that regard.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nope, Ilford numbers still display as a very light gray and are nearly invisible in dim lighting.

Great film -- just a real bear to wind on to the next frame.

Congrats to all on the Isolettes. They are fine cameras.
    Last edited by elekm; 06-27-2008 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just back from a week in the Lake District. Five rolls of Ilford Delta and my Agfa Isolette. No batteries, chargers, light meters, memory cards etc just a truly wonderful point and shot medium format camera. Chazzy, didn't have much trouble seeing the numbers on the film, apart from Number 1, when I get my results back I'll decide on whether I will be rebuilding my darkroom again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the world of folders! You'll find soon enough that one is not enough, and 6x9 folders aren't that much larger, and wouldn't it be good to have one with auto frame counting, and another with a coupled range finder, and a spare in case one has to go for a CLA, and....

On Sunday I was out, for the first time in a couple of months or so, with a Moskva 5 (loaded with Provia), Pentacon 6 (with Ilford SFX) and a Minolta D*g*t*l, the latter being about 4 years old.

Well, the 50 year old Moskva worked fine, but the Minolta is on its last legs. About to go to the great electronics scrap yard in the sky. It still looks pristine, having had light use, whereas the Moskva looks like it was the primary tool used to construct several Russian towns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello,
    My name is Paul, and I have too many cameras.

It starts out so innocently;
    -It's just one camera, then, oh what the heck, I'll get another.
    -Then I should have a spare.
    -Then I'll trade my d*****l thing off and get several more.
    -Then it's up early in the AM scanning the auction sites.
    -Then it's some tools to help repair the shutter on one.
    -Then it's hours spent discussing whether front cell focus is best at f8 or f11.
    -Then maybe I should bid on that Voigtlander which will likely go for $1200.00.
    -Then you spend the next day upset 'cause you didn't bid high enough.
    -Then you spend too many hours on this site scouring other members minds for hints on camera repair etc.

Stop now, while you are still young.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul, y'r advice is sound. But at least the OP is using his new treasure, not agonizing over what's best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Was my lucky day today. Tonight an Agfa Isolette II with Solinar lens was up for auction with a fixed 'Buy it Now' price of £45 - I couldn't believe it and quickly paid up. Looking forward to seeing this bargain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin