Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,851   Online: 972

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Bizarre Mamiya RZ67 Pro Film Advanced Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have a weird film advance problem that I'd like to share and see if any of you have experienced anything similar. I have a Mamiya RZ67 Pro, Pro II 120 back, and a 127mm f/3.8 Z lens. When firing the shutter in electronic mode at speeds 1/4 second and higher, I cannot advance the cocking lever after I make the exposure, unless I either:

A. Switch the camera to emergency mechanical mode and depress the shutter release again (this does *not* fire the shutter again), or...

B. Move the time exposure slider on the lens to "T" and then back to "N".

Doing either A or B, I hear a tiny internal click and I'm able to advance the lever normally. At shutter speeds of 1/2 second and slower, or if I use a cable release on the lens' cable release port and fire the shutter from there, everything on the camera works fine. Also, the lens is exposing film perfectly at all shutter speeds.

The camera body just underwent a CLA at KEH where they reportedly repaired a film advance problem. Is this a problem with the lens?

Thanks! -Brett

Shooter
    35mm
    I would try a fresh battery.

Regards

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello brett ! the tiny click is the delay of shutter pin in the lens, i hear it too.
    RZ 67 is not made for fast shooting i hava noticed that.

By the way, do you have RZ 67 operating manual ? you can download for free from this following site to check that you are doing everything properly :

http://mikebutkus.com/chinon/mamiya/...a_rz67_pro.htm

This manual comes in two parts.

vesaL

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Battery checks out fine; it's not a shutter delay

I don't believe it's the battery. That's the first thing I checked. The current battery is pushing out 6V, as it should. Just for the sake of thoroughness, I've tried another battery but the problem persists.

It shouldn't be a matter of "shooting too fast". The problem only happens with the "fast" shutter speeds of 1/4 sec and higher. Using low shutter speeds allows the advance lever to work normally. This tiny click only happens when I move the timed exposure slider on the lens from "N" to "T" or switch the body to mechanical mode and press the main shutter release again. It's not that I'm "jumping the gun" and trying to advance the lever before the shutter has closed.

I've shot with RZ67s before, and this is the first time I've experienced this problem.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.
    -Brett

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It sounds like the problem is with the lens. When you unscrew the cable release from the lens, does the little silver part that the cable screws into go back down in all the way to where the red stripe doesn't show?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    It sounds like the problem is with the lens. When you unscrew the cable release from the lens, does the little silver part that the cable screws into go back down in all the way to where the red stripe doesn't show?
    Yes, the silver part retracts and obscures the red stripe after removing the cable release.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Did you ever find a solution

Hi Brett,
    This is a reply to a VERY old post, I know, but I just pulled my RZ67 out of the closet today after 6+ years of sitting dormant. It worked perfectly the last time I used it. Now it is behaving exactly as you described yours was doing. I did put in a brand now battery...actually tried two different batteries with the same result. I'm wondering if you ever found out what was causing this behavior?

Thanks,
    Ross Henning

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Had to replace the circuit board

Hi Ross,

I had to re-familiarize myself with this issue before responding. Turned out that I had to have the circuit board replaced in the camera. KEH was able to do the repair and it cost me a couple of hundred dollars, if I remember correctly.

Sorry I couldn't help more, and good luck!

Brett
    http://www.brettsimison.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosshenning View Post
    Hi Brett,
    This is a reply to a VERY old post, I know, but I just pulled my RZ67 out of the closet today after 6+ years of sitting dormant. It worked perfectly the last time I used it. Now it is behaving exactly as you described yours was doing. I did put in a brand now battery...actually tried two different batteries with the same result. I'm wondering if you ever found out what was causing this behavior?

Thanks,
    Ross Henning

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin