Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 649

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filter suggestions

After stepping up to MF I nearly died at the price of good quality 77mm filters. I have been looking at screw on ones like B+W but may have to look at Cokin which are quite a bit cheaper. I'm after a basic set of red, yellow & green filters for B&W photography. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands or screw on versus slide on?
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoya if you need new. Otherwise red and yellow are very common used.

You don't want to see how fast prices soar above 82mm -(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have a look at SRB, a UK company. Their filters and holders are reasonably priced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It looks like SRB have slightly changed their name. Here you go -

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/51022-77mm-bust.html

I found that they were fairly expensive. The way eBeg and other auctions are you'd think that millions of filters should be out there and relatively inexpensive, not so from what I've found.

Think about a polarizer, yellow and red.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've built up a set of 77mm filters over a period from eBay and secondhand dealers, takes time. New Kood filter are reasonably priced and good enough quality.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    In the past I've spent huge sums on B+W filters and they're very nice. I do find it's worth investing in their polarisers for colour work but for black and white I've bought a set in various sizes from 7dayshop.com:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...o=SEARCH&comp=

For 77mm they're £4.99 each and the quality's entirely acceptable, certainly as good as a basic Hoya filter. Shooting towards the sun they've actually outperformed a Hoya HMC red filter which produced horrible flare.

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I must be the ultimate cheapskate. Filters in the 77mm screw in size are expensive so I did something different. Most of my lenses, MF and large format, have 77mm filter threads so I purchased a Cokin filter holder with the 77mm adapter.

Then I bought perspex off-cuts from the local plastic fabricators in red, orange, yellow, green, yellow-green, and blue. The whole lot cost $20! With a hacksaw I cut 84mm squares that fit the Cokin holder. Now I have about 40 filters at around 50 cents each.

To use a new filter I just peel off the protective paper and go. Perspex is virtually optically flat and does not degrade image sharpness; I checked. Unfortunately perspex is softer than glass but if a filter gets scratched I just throw it and reach for a new one.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heliopan screw-on filters get good reviews - brass ring, high-quality glass, not quite as expensive as the B+W ones.

Just bought one myself, and I can verify that the build is very good. I can't speak to the optical quality, though, as I have not had time to test it yet.

Not sure if they are marketed in Australia, though. There's a contact form at www.heliopan.de,so perhaps worth checking.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my CV R3M I use B+W filters. For medium format I use Cokin.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin