Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 667

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    No wonder it has turned yellow...
    LOL!

Regards, Art
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Should I consider a bronica instead?
    I got a Bronica because I couldn't afford a Hassy. Most definitely do some research if you decide to get one. The older ones, like the S I have, are getting on in years and may need servicing. There may or may not be folks out there who can fix them. From what I've read the older Bronicas used brass gears instead of steel, which makes them weaker and possibly more prone to failure (<-- not 100% confirmed.)

The Nikkor lenses are fantastic though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you buy a camera with a known history, or perhaps better, from a source like David Odess who will sell it freshly CLA'd, then there is no reason it won't give you 5 years, and many, many more of dependable service.
    Though, that statement is no more or less true for Hasselblad than any other quality make.
    However, for what you envision, you'd probably get more value in a 4x5, assuming things like hand-holding or overall size aren't a concern.
    The Hasselblad is a great system camera, very adaptable, but all those bits can get expensive. For example, most lenses still command very high prices, compared to comparable 4x5 optics.
    The 500 C/M I bought last year was made in the 70's, I don't know its history, but I'm inclinded to suspect it's never been serviced.
    I recently bought a mid-80's body, and I am it's second owner, it's never had a CLA either.
    Eventually, of course, some service will be necesary, I'm hoping to get one of them done this year while it's still a matter of choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're like cars. Service them prior to there being a 'problem' and it's likely to last you much longer. It's called preventative maintenance... My 500C is old but was completely gone through by a Hasselblad trained repair man (in Sweden) before I got it. I've only had it for eight months but it's worked perfectly since without hickups.
    But the maintenance goes for any camera. Even a view camera could use to have gears, nuts and bolts well lubricated. The shutters for the lenses you use are suspect to needing CLA too.
    I love my Hasselblad, but I like my Mamiya 645 almost as much, and there is nothing better about the Planar lens than the Mamiya Sekors.
    I believe that a Mamiya, Pentax, Contax, or Bronica setup will give you very similar results to the Hasselblad. My plan is to focus on the Hasselblad system, sell the rest and get another body, a couple more A12 backs and some lenses. It's a well thought out system that works well.
    Hope that didn't confuse matters...
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you get a good camera/lens(es) to start with the cost for maintenence should be low. As you plan very little useage the main thing to remember is to exersize the camera and shutters once per month or so. Then they will stay in shape. Just go through all the time settings, putting some extra attention to the long times. This goes for most of the suggestions that you find in this thread. While I use and love my Hasselblads having used them on and off for 20 years, I would probably be as happy with a Mamaya or Bronica if I had choosen that route. Also, don't go for the oldest gear around. A decently modern 500C/M with preferably a CF lens or at least a black C T* lens will take you a long way, if it is in good order when you buy it.

The difference between 35mm and medium format is sometimes quite drastic (while the step up to 4x5" is less noticeable). You will sacrifice some flexibility when using e.g. a Hasselblad compared to a 35mm, but once you get the hang of it the quality of the negatives will be a very nice reward.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The difference between 35mm and medium format is sometimes quite drastic (while the step up to 4x5" is less noticeable)"

I do not understand this statement.

I find 35 to 4x5 much more noticeable than 35 to 6x6, myself. With 4x5, you'll be able to get a grain-free 16x20 from a 400 film without even trying, not to mention how unreal it looks at smaller sizes. Definitely a big difference between 6x6 and 4x5 as I sees it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bought a used system with three lenses and two backs five years ago. It had been stored a long time. One of the lenses had a sticky shutter. I had the money, so had the entire kit CLA'd for $800. It's run perfectly and hasn't needed any service since then. What kills cameras? Dirt, infrequent use, carelessness. I think if you use a Hasselblad regularly and with a little respect you can see many years of trouble-free use without visiting the shop. Prices are so low now on CM's, 80's, 150's and backs, that you can be patient and find one that looks excellent and works perfectly for very little money.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I didn't see in your post is how you actually plan to use the Hasselblad. For example, will you require additional lenses or just one (a 150 for portraits or a 50mm for landscapes, for example). Do you have a need for interchangeable backs?

I really enjoy my 500c. But every type of system has its advantages and disadvantages. One thing to consider, especially given your planned limited use, is that the cost of additional Hasselblad lenses (beyond the 80) is relatively expensive. Another is that leaf shutters do need occasional exercise to stay "limber".

Some questions you may want to consider or, if you have, add to your post:
    Will you require additional lenses? (leaf shutter lenses cost more)
    Do you need through the lens viewing? (if so, limits you to SLRs or TLRs)
    Do you need interchangeable backs?
    Will you take advantage of a square negative? (if not, 6x4.5 is effectively the same as 6x6)

But I wouldn't shy away from a Hasselblad due to maintenace costs. What I would caution is that with most of the wedding photographers having switched to digital SLRs, you will still see some Hasselblads, Mamiya, and Bronica SLRs that have had a lot of use.

Since you want a large negative and don't appear to need TTL viewing, I'd add a Mamiya Universal (with the later Seiko shutter) to the mix. May be the least expensive way to get quality lenses and a large negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, your question is not really a question of reliability. Any camera needs service and maintenance. Hassies, and most decent cameras, are perfectly reliable if you get a good one and take care of it. It's really a question of how much camera you need for what you want to do. I am assuming (based only on your description, so I could be wrong) that there is a lot of the functionality of the Hassy system that you just would not use. If they were cheap cameras, fine. But no point paying for expensive (and great) cameras if you won't use them that often, or if they are overkill for what you want to do. Do you need all the accessories? Do you need interchangeable magazines? Polaroid? Zeiss lenses? Etc? Does the work that you want to do with the camera warrant a lifetime of buying expensive (and great) European $hit (meaning lenses and accessories)? If not, you will get just the same results from $500-worth of a Mamiya TLR or Bronica SQ system. Let's not even bring up the subject of Kiev 88s or 60s...oops. Too late. I just brought it up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Andrey,

I've owned/used a Hassy 500C/M with an assortment of lenes (50, 100, 150, 250) since the mid-80's. Today, I don't shoot with it nearly as much as I used to, but the only maintenance I've ever had done is to have a CLA done on one of the A12 backs. So, basically, my entire system has been maintenance free for 20 years! One thought, though, before you dive into a Hassey outfit or any 2 1/4 square system...think about composing in the square format. True, you can always crop to landscape or portrait orientation but I, for one, like to use all the real estate I have available on the neg/tranny. Some subjects seems to fall naturally to the square format, while others you've got to really work at. Just something to think about...

Good luck with your decision.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin