Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,789   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Have you shot with Hassys for more than 5 years?

I'm all film at this point and discouting two cheap TLRs most of the shooting is done with 35mm.

I'm contemplating medium format or a 4*5.

The volume will be minuscule. A couple of dozen of exposures per year. I'll measurebate to the extreme and be really frugal.

I'm thinking of a hassy because of the lens and the large negative. I'll shoot color and b/w negatives. I'll print both myself, optically.

The question is for the guys who have been shooting hassy for a while.

How much was/is it to maintain your blad system?

I hear two different ends of the spectrum. On one hand they are "the machines that never break, I've been shooting mine for eons and it still shoots like new"

On the other stuff like: "The shutters need adjustments, it costs 350 bucks to CLA the magazine... it costs a lot to maintain"

Should I consider a bronica instead? Or maybe a rangefinder?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you get a camera that has been treated nicely and already had a CLA you will not have to worry about it. Camera's are like any machine, if you use them they will wear, only the amount of (ab)use determines the wear. So if you get a good one you will not have to send it in for a CLA for years to come judging that you will not use it that often.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you should consider a Bronica, a rangefinder or even a better quality TLR!

Good luck!

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 07-05-2008 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For shooting as little as you will be, many of the advantages of the Hassy will be wasted; that is, the complete system nature of the camera, which is what makes Hassy so great and versatile. If you won't be using it that often, why do you need a complete system camera that is relatively expensive? Will you be using any of the accessories or unique features, or do you just need a light-tight box that shoots a square frame with high-quality interchangeable lenses? If the latter, I would just get a Mamiya TLR. They are cheap as dirt and there is not much on them that can break, really...and if it does, you can fix it yourself or pay relatively little to have it fixed. The lenses are great, and you have a fair variety of FLs from which to choose: 55mm, 65mm, 80mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180mm, and 250mm.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-05-2008 at 02:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure if it's just a numbers game at this point.

If you want a Hasselblad, then don't get a Bronica. If you do, then you'll still want a Hasselblad; wonder whether it's better than your Bronica; find little faults and deficiencies with your Bronica until one day you end up with a Hasselblad and a Bronica prior to selling one of them eventually.

I used to use a Hasselblad many decades ago, and I now own a Bronica ETRSi which came with a 75mm PE lens, and in no way do I wish for a Hasselblad - I get remarkably similar results from that lens to the old Planar 80mm I used to use (although the old CZ Distagon 50mm was quite superb). I even think I'm better off with the Zenzanon 150mm f3.5 MC (not the new PE - but nevertheless a quite excellent lens) than the CZ 150mm. But the point is, whether they were as good as, better than, or tolerably not as good as - I decided that the Hasselblad was not the system I wanted, and the Bronica was.

As a result, I don't have this nagging feeling that the Bronica is an intermediate step towards one day getting the Hasselblad. It isn't. If it was, I'd have been better off going directly to it and that's what I'd advise anyone even half thinking that one day they'll end up with a Hasselblad: go there directly in one step, not via a series of other cameras. It's an emotional decision more than it is a technical one or even a financial one (until you add up what it costs to build a system rather than a body/back/wlf/std.lens that is!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you plan to shoot so little, why don't you get a 4x5 then?
    The advantage of the Hasselblad is the roll film that enables to quickly take many frames, as opposed to the much slower sheet film cameras. It is also generally lighter than even a field 4x5 and so its much easier to hand hold (as I do). I also found out that with a 50 iso film (like PanF+ which I use) the detail is astonishing and your prints come out grain free even enlarged at 50x60cm.
    But if you are really meticulous about your photographs and the subject stands at least moderately still, go for the larger format.
    You can create a 4x5 system for much less money than a Hasselblad and you can always get 120 roll film backs if you decide you need them and of course you get the movements.
    (and that comes from a guy who has a complete Hasseblad system and no need for LF cameras).
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    I think you should consider a Bronica, a rangefinder or even a better quality TLR! André
    André, I'm surprised!

I've been shooting with a Hasselblad for about 5 years and can't imagine being without it. Low maintainence and wonderful quality. Hire/Rent one for a week or two and see how you like the fit. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andrey,
    after lusting after a hassy since the mid 70's, I finally fell into a system last year that I could afford, and figured it would contrast the RB 67 outfit nicely. Long story short, the hassy sat on the shelf, maybe had 10 rolls in a year shot through it, it just didint' work for me. Nicole is spot on, rent/beg/borrow one for a week and see if it fits your style.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    How much was/is it to maintain your blad system?
    I bought my Hassey brand new in 2002, have taken with on about 30 trips, across 3 continents, and put through about 2000 rolls of film. Hmmm ... Now that I think about it; maybe I should send it in for a CLA ... Anyway I've dished out $0 since I bought it.

Regards, Art
    Last edited by gr82bart; 07-05-2008 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    I bought my Hassey brand new in 2002, have taken with on about 30 trips, across 3 continents, and put through about 2000 rolls of film. Hmmm ... Now that I think about it; maybe I should send it in for a CLA ...

Regards, Art
    No wonder it has turned yellow...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin