Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Any good non-folding vintage rangefinders?

Are there any good non-folding vintage medium-format rangefinder cameras availible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fujica G690. Interchangeable lenses, too. But not very vintage, they're younger than I am.

Go to Sylvain Halgand's site (http://www.collection-appareils.fr/phpBB2/index.php ) and look around. He shows many.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the Kodak Medalist? The lens is not interchangeable, but is maybe the finest med format lens I've ever used.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Koni-Omega Rapid
    Mamiya Press
    Graflex 70 (rare and takes 70mm)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second the Omega Rapid and Mamiya Press suggestions. They too have interchangeable lenses. The Omegas shoot 6x7, IIRC there are Mamiya Press holders for 6x7 and 6x9. The 6x9s are supposed to have the best film flatness of any 6x9 roll holder. But, like the G690, these fine cameras aren't all that vintage.

Darin, what are you hoping to accomplish this time?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dan, I'd like to find a nice "walkabout" MF camera. it does not need to have interchangeable lenses. There has been alot of talk about folders, but I was curious what else was available.

Regarding the pro MF cameras from yesteryear.. The Mamiya Press is an excellent camera, but I find it bulky and awkward.

I handled a Koni Omega camera once and I was extremely impressed by the useability and handling. Most reviews have said the lens quality is excellent as well. However they are a little larger than what I was looking for.

Matt: thank you for mentioning the Kodak medalist. I had forgotten about them. Are these cameras heavy? They look fairly compact from the photos Ive seen.

Dan, thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darin, small and non-folding MF camera don't go together that well. But look at 6x6 Alsaphots with fixed collapsible lenses. I've never had one, even so believe they're a large step up from, e.g., Holga/Diana. Don't even think of a Cyclops, they're cult items and go for absurd prices.

By all means handle a Medalist. I believe you'll find it bulky and heavy, would be happy to be mistaken.

Also, if you can find one to touch, a G690.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bronica RF 645, there are 4 lenses available. Camera is small. They might be hard to find. I purchased one of the very first ones 00009 and I have been very happy with it. These are some of the sharpest lenses I have owned (to my eye). Lenses available are 45 mm, 65 mm , 100 mm and 135 mm. It was produced for a very short time and has been out of production for a few years....I would nt classify it vintage, but you also said good, and oh my it is good!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Matt: thank you for mentioning the Kodak medalist. I had forgotten about them. Are these cameras heavy? They look fairly compact from the photos Ive seen.
    The Medalist is fairly compact, but heavy and bulky, it’s like carrying a brick. The negatives are big & sharp & beautiful though. That lens is amazing. The big con with the Medalist is that it uses 620 reels. You can have it converted to 120, buy a converted one, or roll your own 620. I rolled my own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya Press has the 6x9 backs that are roughly the same proportion as 35mm, and they also offer the Super 23 that takes the press lenses and offers movements in the back of the camera that can take a ground glass back that can shoot sheet film in 2 1/4 by 3 1/4. The Universal Press can use pack film in a Polaroid back. They make 50mm, 65mm, 75mm, 90mm, 100mm, 127mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses. The cameras are bulky for the camera bag and they are difficult to repair, but offer big negatives for enlargements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin