Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,482   Online: 912

Shooter
    Medium Format

Waist Level finder on a 2.8f

I just sold my Hasselblad 500C and purchased a Rolleiflex 2.8F. The Rollei is in perfect condition except for one thing. The waist level
    finder does not lock completely into place. The prism finder goes on without a problem, but the WL does not. Does anyone have any
    ideas? The waist level was off of a 2.8f of the same age.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It seems a bit odd to me that the prism locks in but not the WLF. What is happening when you put it on is that you are sliding the slight protusion on the front of the finder into a slot made for it on the backside of the meter sensor housing. If the prism fits in fine then the WLF should be the same. In any case the position of the slot on the back of the sensor is adjustable. If you look at it with the prisms off you might be able to tell if the slot is lined up right or is it a bit too high or low. If you decide that it is off you can take off the two screws on the front of the meter sensor housing, they are chrome and stick out a little with a hole in the sides of them. You can use a pin or needle through the hole to turn that screw. Once you take those two screws out the cover with the meter sensor comes off though still connected by wire. You will then see the screws that hold the meter sensor in the cover and you will see how you can adjust it up or down a little bit. Make the adjustment and then put the front back on and the two screws back in place and it should work for all the TLR prisms. Zen and the art of Rolleiflex maintenance. Don't get too rambunctious and you won't hurt anything...
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll try that. It belonged to someone who used to use it for weddings. He never even used the waist level, and the prism has probably been mated to it for 40 years with the exception of taking it off to put on a bright screen several years ago. Maybe that has something to do with it. Nice reference. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was a pretty good book. Maybe you should work on one for Rolleiflexes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    NOT ME! I never did get my 2.8F back together quite right after taking the front off to clean the lenses. It works fine though.

What I described to you was something I did to an old Rolleiflex several years ago that was just the opposite of yours.. The WLF worked fine but I had to fight the prism to get it in place. I think perhaps the front tab on that prism is a bit worn down so it fits into the slightly misalligned slot on your camera. You can take those two silver screws out and have a look and if you can't figure it out you can always but it back in place as it was nothing gained nothing lost.
    Dennis
    Yes I loved that book and it stuck with me for many years now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking as someone who did take some time off the normal job and worked as a motorcyle mechanic for a while (it was such fun, and easy, but not much money), I was so disappointed to find that there was nothing in the book "Zen, and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" about working on motorcycles. No tips for timing a Lucas magneto. No insight on why the original XS-650 would throw itself onto the ground. No reference to the work of Naito and Nomura on the Schnurle two-cycle engine. Not even a recommendation for a good brand of wrenches!

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    NO it didn't mention working on them but was an insight into two kinds of people- those who loved to work on their bikes and those who didn't. After reading that book and having owned a Bonneville, all my next ones were BMWs. I knew what category I fitted into!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No No :-) the point of the book is that budha is everywhere even in a motorcycle engine and if you are in touch with life and budha and are enjoying your trip and not rushing through it, even working on a motorcycle engine things become clear. So to working on a Rolleiflex.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Back on topic now. I broke a couple of my mom's needles, but I got it. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin