Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,284   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tripod

(I guess this a little off topic for medium format, but I do want to put my RB on top of it.)

I am looking to get a tripod for my RB67. The one I have is about to fall apart anyway.

Other than how "big" it is and why type of head it has, what differentiates a "cheap" tripod from an "expensive" one.

Anyone provide clarification and/or recomendations?

Jason

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't buy cheap.

A good tripod will last for years, not fall apart after little use.

You don't want a top heavy, expensive RB67 falling to the ground.

Get a Gitzo or something equivalent in quality. Check out Really Right Stuff for quality heads for your tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html
    Last edited by Pinholemaster; 07-08-2008 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm just going to be honest here
    I use an adorama tripod and not even one of their carbon fibers $50
    I use an Adorama pan/tilt head at about $40

It weighs about 9 pounds. I hike with it. I'm young. No big deal at all.
    I spray foam into whatever sections I can to minimize vibration
    I tape the leg in glass tape where the leg locks for a tiiiighter fit.
    I put pipe insulation on the legs for added cushion ..this is actually stuck to the cushion already there through use of double sided carpet tape
    I superglue 35mm cassette felt strips on the tripod head/QR platform for tight wobble-free support.
    I tighten everything down

At some point I will add leg spikes

I use 35mm and a 4x5 tachihara at maybe 5.5 pounds with a large lens on it

I'm happy with it
    Apug will hate me but I turned down a NOS Ries Jr tri-lock w/o head for $75. There were 4 of them.

Conspicious Consumption Sucks!
    OTOH
    If I ever shoot bigger than lightweight 4x5 :/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Don't buy cheap.

A good tripod will last for years, not all apart after little use.

You don't want a top heavy, expensive RB67 falling to the ground.

Get a Gitzo or something equivalent in quality. Check out Really Right Stuff for quality heads for your tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html
    What makes a cheap tripod "cheap"? After all, a three legged design is the most stable structure there is and as long as the center of gravity does not extend too far from the vertical centerline, it will not fall. If the legs lock well, it will not colopse, either. Weight ratings I can understand. The legs/structure are engineered to support a certain weight and any more will compromist the physical integrity.

I am not trying to combative, just trying to understand what seperates and/or differentiates a cheap(bad) from a not cheap(good) tripod.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gotta do that to my tripod. It might stand up to my 4x5. All I have is an old Manfrotto 6400 light weight tripod.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All other things being equal (weight, material, function) is gets down to quality. Why is a Leica better than a Zorki? Same design ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Bogen 3021 w/ 3030 head for my Calumet Cadet, Kodak 2D 5x7 and both my Fuji MF rangefinders. I have had no problems with stability in the almost 20 years I have had it.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    schwefel,
    When you go tripod hunting, grasp the apex of the tripod & give it a twist. A stable tripod won't have any flex in it. Then raise the center column as high as it will go & see if there's any flex in the column or crown. If there is, move along. I'm a believer in heavier, thicker, more massive tripods. But. The Bogen 3021, older Tiltalls & Quicksets will give excellent value. Gitzos are terrific but more costly. Bogen & Gitzo will have interchangeable heads where Tiltall & Quickset don't.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I use various tripods and heads for various purposes with my RB; Bogen, Gitzo (carbon fiber and aluminum) but always grab my Tiltall for studio type settings and for short trips close to home - I just throw it over my shoulder and go. The black Tiltall looks like it was made for the RB (my favorite - toughest and least expensive tripod). My Gitzo carbon fiber is best for backpacking and macro work close to ground level.

I think tripods are like the cameras, there isn't one that will serve all purposes.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    schwefel,
    When you go tripod hunting, grasp the apex of the tripod & give it a twist. A stable tripod won't have any flex in it. Then raise the center column as high as it will go & see if there's any flex in the column or crown. If there is, move along. I'm a believer in heavier, thicker, more massive tripods. But. The Bogen 3021, older Tiltalls & Quicksets will give excellent value. Gitzos are terrific but more costly. Bogen & Gitzo will have interchangeable heads where Tiltall & Quickset don't.

Thank you! That is the kind of info I am looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin