Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,462   Posts: 1,597,443   Online: 841

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shicks5319 View Post
    I wonder if anyone out there is using the Mamiya system for hand held portraiture work in a major way....
    Portraiture is what I seem to do the most of, so my Mamiya 7 is getting a lot of work in this department. I'm still getting used to focusing a rangefinder, since it's my first RF camera.

My medium-format mainstay before the Mamiya 7 was a Contax 645, which I still have and use, and which is an awesome portrait camera. My favorite type of portraiture has been tight head- or head-and-shoulders shots with the Contax and its fabulous 140mm lens which focuses quite close enough for this sort of portraiture.

The Mamiya 7 is limited somewhat in that its 80mm "normal" lens (which is actually a bit wide) focuses only down to about 1m; and the 150mm, which is the longest practical lens for the system (forget about the 250? for portraiture--it's not coupled to the RF!), focuses only down to about 2m. On the plus side, both are spectacularly sharp and contrasty lenses, and with that huge negative cropping in a bit tighter is not a deal-breaker. And it's so lightweight and portable that you are going to get shots you wouldn't have with the Hassy or Contax 'cause your arm was too tired to carry them with you.

So, yes, it can be done--you can do just about anything with this camera--if you understand its limitations.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I started with a 35mm SLR long ago, and then I ended up, at different times, trying a 35mm rangefinder (Contax IIa), a Mamiya 645, Bronica RF645, and a Crown Graphic. I still use a 35mm SLR for shooting sports, and I'll probably always keep the Crown Graphic. I did, however, sell the Mamiya and the Bronica. The Mamiya went because the flash sync was soooo slow, and the system was a bit bulky for carrying about. The Bronica went because I lost confidence in the film transport (fixed under warranty). So now I have a Mamiya 7 for my MF camera. I love it. It's easy to carry about, and the lenses are stunningly sharp. Yes, it does have limitations, but none that I can't live with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin