Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,123   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Looking at a Mamiya 7 or 7II

I have owned a Hasselblad system for years and have migrated to a range finder camera (leica) over the past couple of years. This has led me to think about a medium format system in a range finder configuration. I just love the hand held spontaneity of this style of camera.

I am interested in hearing comments from others who have perhaps migrated from the standard hassy to the Mamiya range finder camera system.

Pros.... Cons ??

thanks for your comments
    Steve Hicks
    East of the Sandias, New Mexico

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hey steve,
    there is a rather long and recent thread about this very thought. i am sure it is easily found.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    hey steve,
    there is a rather long and recent thread about this very thought. i am sure it is easily found.
    Here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...mat-field.html

And Here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...t-field-3.html

And in several other threads/thead segments
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Consider the 6 and 6MF as well; the latter may suit you especially well if you plan to continue shooting 35mm and don't have an xpan.

The 7ii is a very fine piece, I have considered getting one, but now I have some 6es and I love their compactness... and I like shooting to squarer ratios anyway.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tom Westbrook is a moderator on the Large Format Forum. He has two reviews that might interest you on his web site.

Mamiya 7 II 6x7 Medium Format Rangefinder
    http://tomwestbrook.com/Photography/mamiya_7ii.html

Mamiya 7 vs. Leica M6
    http://tomwestbrook.com/Photography/m7-m6.html

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My first cameras were Leica and Canon rangefinder cameras. Many years ago I switched to MF SLR cameras, and later to LF but I have always remembered the way a rangefinder type of camera *abstracts* the image in the viewfinder, unlike the SLR or LF on the ground glass.

After not using rangefinder cameras for about 15 years I bought a Fuji GSW690III in 2001, and a bit later a GW6909III. I found the large Fuji rangefiners wonderful to work with, except for the lack of a built-in meter. Later I acquired a Mamiya 711 with the full complement of lenses and have found it to be about as close to perfect a camera as I could hope to have for the type of work I do, which is primarily landscape work that does not involve close focusing. The lenses for the Mamiya 7II are the best out there for MF cameras, and if you use the system carefully the results will closely rival what you can get with 4X5.

Needless to say, I highly recommend the Mamiya 7II camera and lenses.

Sandy Kiing

Quote Originally Posted by shicks5319 View Post
    I have owned a Hasselblad system for years and have migrated to a range finder camera (leica) over the past couple of years. This has led me to think about a medium format system in a range finder configuration. I just love the hand held spontaneity of this style of camera.

I am interested in hearing comments from others who have perhaps migrated from the standard hassy to the Mamiya range finder camera system.

Pros.... Cons ??

thanks for your comments

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Looking at a Mamiya 7 or 7II

Thanks folks. This is very helpful
    Steve Hicks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been a Hasselblad user for a good few years now. I love the system and the format.

I've been wishing for something more portable for says when its not so convenient to bring my body and lenses. Having sold some other gear, I bought a Leica M7 but I didnt warm to it. I've now sold this and have a Mamiya 6 in the mail, cant wait to try it.

If you liked the square format, consider the Mamiya 6 too.
    www.fpworkshops.com
    Film Photography Workshops - Ireland

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not a migration from Hassy; nor really a migration from anywhere. I've added a Mamiya 7 to my camera armamentarium, which consists of DSLR's, a Contax 645 for film and d*****l, and a Mamiya TLR, not to mention a beautiful 6x6 folder given by one of my fellow APUG'ers! Love the Mamiya's portability and the awesome quality of the lenses; still adjusting to focusing with a rangefinder (my first).

I have played with a few 35mm rangefinders but they leave me cold. I see no point shooting 35mm film rather than d*****l, and certainly not over MF film for my usual purposes. I love that huge 6x7cm negative.

I think it's good advice, if you are wedded to the square format, to consider also the Mamiya 6. However, recognize that it's a discontinued camera with all the potential problems that status brings. (As a Contax 645 owner, I'm painfully aware.)
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hasssy to Mamiya

I have loved my Hasselblad system and refuse to give up the last of the bodies I owned and my trusty CF 150mm portrait lens. But as soon as I started using my leicas, my portraiture work started taking on a spontaneity that I could never achieve with the Hassy.

I wonder if anyone out there is using the Mamiya system for hand held portraiture work in a major way. The leicas are great, but I miss that bigger film ....
    Steve Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin