Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,844   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    At the other end of the spectrum, when in a crowd and I hold the TLR upside down above my head, I am going to need a faster shutter speed.
    Now that's a funny picture -- walking in a crowd, holding a TLR upside down and pondering over which shutter speed to use. Last night people thought I was crazy because I was just kneeling to take a picture of a very symmetrical fence.

AW, when I use my Yashica-A, I go as low as 1/25 -- and that's as low as the camera goes anyway

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The answers to your original question is: "It varies" , but some people are better than others. A long time ago I read an article on this in a swedish photomagazine. They had a platoon of young militaries shoot a roll of film on a fixed target with a 200mm lens on it. Then they compared the results with their shooting range results. These results matched each other very well. The best shots had the best (sharpest) pictures.
    Also, while not in any sense being a marksman, applying similar tactics will get you a long way. I.e. keep to the ground, find support like walls, trees etc. A monopod will reduce camera-motion blur a lot. (It will probably be in only one direction instead of erratic.)
    At last, quite a few shots have been expelled from competitions for having a beer or a glass of wine before shooting sessions. Noone have ever seen these guys in the same situation drinking a lot of coffee, as already noted. So, let's all go the pub for a beer and a game of darts.

//Björn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can go quite slower than you might think. '30 definitely with an 80mm. '15 probably most of the time. Slower if you are really careful and don't mind taking a shot on a gamble.

One great thing about square format is how convenient a monopod is. Of course, it hits you in the nuts sometimes, but much easier to use than with a rectangle.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edtbjon View Post
    The answers to your original question is: "It varies" , but some people are better than others. A long time ago I read an article on this in a swedish photomagazine. They had a platoon of young militaries shoot a roll of film on a fixed target with a 200mm lens on it. Then they compared the results with their shooting range results. These results matched each other very well. The best shots had the best (sharpest) pictures.
    Also, while not in any sense being a marksman, applying similar tactics will get you a long way. I.e. keep to the ground, find support like walls, trees etc. A monopod will reduce camera-motion blur a lot. (It will probably be in only one direction instead of erratic.)
    At last, quite a few shots have been expelled from competitions for having a beer or a glass of wine before shooting sessions. Noone have ever seen these guys in the same situation drinking a lot of coffee, as already noted. So, let's all go the pub for a beer and a game of darts.

//Björn
    Perhaps target shooting with a camera can become an Olympic sport ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been holding off on this thread, but I guess I can add my two cents worth... I find the TLR format so much more stable than holding an SLR up to my eyes. In most cases, I won't think twice over a shutter speed of 1/15. I'm a whole lot more selective at 1/8, and begin to question my sanity at 1/4... One odd side effect of this is that occasionally I will find myself dialing in a really slow speed on my Nikon before I realize what I'm up to.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any speed you can shoot, i can shoot slower.
    I can shoot any speed slower than you.
    No you can't!
    Yes i can!
    No you can't!
    Yes i can!
    No you can't!
    Yes i can, yes i can!

Shoot a picture, with the camera of your choice, handheld, at 1/250.
    Then put the camera on a tripod and shoot the same picture, at 1/250 again.
    Examine and compare the results, and then you will see what MF is capable of
    ... if only we would use tripods.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 07-12-2008 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Got the lyrics wrong ;)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife Melanie has been shooting a
    2.8E recently. She often shoots at
    slow shutter speeds, with stunning
    results. Here is a photograph she
    took a couple of weeks ago, f/2.8
    at one second:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reneeking/2626540735/

Melanie has an uncanny ability to
    shoot slow speeds handheld. QG,
    this photograph would never have
    worked with the camera on a tripod.

Sanders

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes but I don't think setting the camera on the floor counts as hand held...
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Shoot a picture, with the camera of your choice, handheld, at 1/250.
    Then put the camera on a tripod and shoot the same picture, at 1/250 again.
    Examine and compare the results, and then you will see what MF is capable of
    ... if only we would use tripods."

Of course you are right...but 95% of my favorite prints of all time, shot in a variety of formats, absolutely could not have been taken if the shooters had followed your advice.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Yes but I don't think setting the camera
    on the floor counts as hand held...
    It wasn't on the floor. It was
    a foot off the floor, held low.
    (Which is why a tripod was
    out of the question.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin