Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,126   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

How slow can you go handholding a TLR?

I have a Rolleiflex 2.8FX, a flash for it and a monopod.
    How slow of a shutter speed can I set and keep things sharp?

- Rolleiflex on my hands?
    - Rolleiflex being pressed down with the cord tight around my neck?
    - Rolleiflex with flash (to use the flash as little as possible)?
    - Rolleiflex with monopod?
    - Rolleiflex with flash and monopod?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot depends on how steady you are. I'd think at least 1/30, probably 1/15 or so.
    For me, with anything below that I find a wall or post to brace the camera against.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    A lot depends on how steady you are. I'd think at least 1/30, probably 1/15 or so.
    For me, with anything below that I find a wall or post to brace the camera against.
    Same here. I think 1/15 is possible (between heartbeats) w/heavy camera.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Same here. I think 1/15 is possible (between heartbeats) w/heavy camera.
    You folks mustn't be coffee drinkers.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why not simply shoot a test roll and see.

At least a 1/30, but with a leaf shutter with no slapping mirror, you'll probably go even slower.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also find that with a TLR I can get away with slower shutter speeds because the camera is typically hanging from a strap around my neck, if I have my legs spread somewhat a part, and I lean my back against a wall, lamppost etc, then I can provide a lot of stability to the camera for the exposure. At the other end of the spectrum, when in a crowd and I hold the TLR upside down above my head, I am going to need a faster shutter speed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It also depends on how large you make prints. Plus shooting slow takes practice. Personally, I am a sharpness idiot and if things aren't nasty sharp I am disappointed. So I usually use a tripod but can get nearly tack sharp with a 60th handheld. I will go down to a 15th but I don't expect absolute sharpness at that speed.
    Dennis

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always found that not drinking my usual coffee until afterwards would net me an extra stop or two when hand-holding my SLRs- I expect the same would apply to a TLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleicord and low light.

With my Rolleicord, I've had some success at 1/8th and 1/4 second, hand-held. A quarter second is not dependable, although I've made some portraits at that speed that were sharp. One eighth is more reliable; still not 100%. Below 1/15th second I consider a calculated risk - sometimes worth it. One-thirtieth is usually sharp. If not, it's my focus that's at fault as often as camera shake.

My eyesight does not allow me to use the screen directly; I must use the magnifier to focus. Lately, I've been learning to wrap the strap around my right hand to keep the strap taut - I learned that from the Rollei manual.

When I was considering a Hasselblad, the mirror vibration was one reason that I rejected that option. The Rolleiflex / Rolleicord leaf shutter suits me perfectly.

More recently, I've been pushing my films about one stop - i.e. exposing Delta 100, FP4+, Acros to exposure index 200. Using DD-X, I'm delighted with the fine grain. So, I'm not as often exposing at speeds slower than 1/15th second. Previously, I had been obsessed with slow film speeds. Now, I find my work better with slightly faster film.

Delta 3200, exposed at 1200 to 1600, developed in DD-X is great for low light; and the grain is fine for me.

When my supply of ISO 100 film is gone, I plan to change over [and standardize my inventory] to TMAX 400, and expose that at 200 to 1600, depending on the season. It's very overcast and dark here for 6 months in fall and winter. So far, I've found TMAX 400 at E.I. 400 and 800 to be excellent - and that's the old version. Kodak suggests not changing developing time for E.I. 800, which is really convenient - like having a two-speed film in the camera.

Good luck to all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you can brace one hand against something rigid (a wall or pole or such) I think you will find that up to ~1 sec is doable. With elbow to hip, yeah, 1/15 is about it. A fair amount of the blur comes from finger impulse though- I found that by triggering a bulb with my foot or just using a timer, I could get down to 1/15 pretty reliably, with a rangefinder. Beyond that depends on your state of meditation!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin