Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,287   Online: 751

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the choice gets made for you. At an estate auction yesterday I bought what quick research says is either a Type I or II Rilleiflex Automat, dating from the serial number to early 1939. The serial number is 804993. It has a 7.5 cm f/3.5 Tessar in Compur-Rapid taking lens and the Heidoscop-Anastigmat f/3.1 viewing lens. The lenses don't appear to be coated, so I'm going to have to remember that. It seemed to work out for photographers like Robert Doiseneau, so it'll certainly be all right for me! It seems to be in mint condition in a perfect leather "everready" case, and there's also a flash attachment. I think that $80 was fair for the best of the three at the auction.

Is there any advice anyone wants to give me for playing with my new toy? Any "Dont do this or it breaks" comments?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Sometimes the choice gets made for you. At an estate auction yesterday I bought what quick research says is either a Type I or II Rilleiflex Automat...
    A Rilleiflex??? Really?? Wow!!!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Btw, do you pronounce Rolleiflex the same way you do with other german names like Leica and Carl Zeiss (where "ei" sounds like "ah-ee")?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always said Roll–ee-flex, Lie-ca and Z-eye-ss.

I'd love to know from native Germans how to say them, for years I owned a volks-wagen only to learn i had a folksvaargon or VW (vee double you) should be fau vay :-)
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, I gather it is Roll-eye-flex,
    but I still say Roll-ee-flex.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pronounciation

Hi Mark,

Rolleiflexible is correct, the right pronounciation is "Roll eye flex"
    "Z eye ss" is also right, but Leica is "L eye ca".

By the way I own a Folksvaagon too

Greetz from Germany

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rolleiflex Automat

@Mike

it is important that you never try to set the 1/500 sec when the shutter has already been cocked. Doing so can damage a spring in the shutter mechanism of the compur-rapid. It might be very difficult to set the time with a cocked shutter anyhow, but some people try to force it and then it brakes.

Good luck with your new Rollei

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have enjoyed using the meter on my Rolleiflex. But last week in the Southwest (USA) I was adjusting either the f/stop or shutter speed (can't remember which) and I heard a metalic "ping!" and the meter stopped working (the meter still registers, but the needle with the circle at the end no longer moves). Fortunately I carry a Luna Pro SBC in my kit.

But I think that any Rollei (cord or flex) in good working order will serve one very well.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I don't think I did that but I was running through shutter speeds/aperture combinations under the theory that a workout would either loosen everything up or tell me to get it CLA'd before taking it out -- and the CLA won. After a couple of dozen firings, the shutter blades didn't close completely and now the winder doesn't want to wind.

Recommendations for a place to send it for a CLA, and a guesstimate on what one might cost?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    @Mike

it is important that you never try to set the 1/500 sec when the shutter has already been cocked. Doing so can damage a spring in the shutter mechanism of the compur-rapid. It might be very difficult to set the time with a cocked shutter anyhow, but some people try to force it and then it brakes.

Good luck with your new Rollei

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin