Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,484   Online: 892

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It seems that Manfrotto uses its own proprietary design on the plates which is not compatible with the Arca-Swiss mount.
    I've found a few companies that make their own rectangular plates but I can't use them in my old head.
    Maybe this plate could work?
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...id=107&idx=116
    Otherwise I might need to find another head, Manfrotto or not, the expensive way...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The QR system should be removeable so that you could use any QR system that you want. My ball head has 2 screws that hold the QR system to the head, a large one to bear the brunt of the work, and a small one to keep it from rotating. Remove those 2 screws and I should be able to mount any other QR system that I want as long as the holes line up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am trying to find a solution so I don't have to fork out 200 euros for a new head...
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My used ball head cost almost that much. I finally came to the conclusion that if I wanted something good, I was going to have to fork out more money than I really wanted to spend.

That said I have had good luck with an old Bogen 3025, and I thought they had a heavier duty version but I don't see it listed. The 3025 was just a little on the light side for my Mamiya 645 1000s camera, prism, and 210 lens, so not sure if I would suggest it for your needs.

If you think the head is up to the task, can't you just replace the QR system? It looks like your head uses the same RC2 QR plate that I have on my ball head. If so I am not having problems keeping the camera locked down, maybe all you need is a new plate? If not then other parts of the QR system may be worn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    I am trying to find a solution so I don't have to fork out 200 euros for a new head...
    I use Bogen/Manfrotto 486 ball head with the Hasselblad quick release gizmo quite successfully. It is an inexpensive combination that actually works. I don't like the Bogen/Manfrotto hex-QR plates on any camera except my LF monorail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I use Bogen/Manfrotto 486 ball head with the Hasselblad quick release gizmo quite successfully. It is an inexpensive combination that actually works. I don't like the Bogen/Manfrotto hex-QR plates on any camera except my LF monorail.
    I don't really like that ball head, or at least it doesn't work with me. I prefer the three way heads.
    I am interested though, why don't you like the hexagonical plates?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    I don't really like that ball head, or at least it doesn't work with me. I prefer the three way heads.
    I am interested though, why don't you like the hexagonical plates?
    I suprised myself to find out that I liked the ball head. I resisted them for years. We all have our preferences and biases... and that's OK!

I use Hassy both on and off of tripod. The hex plate is big and clunky when handholding the camera. I also find it difficult to get it tight enough to keep the camera from spinning. My hex plates have the finger-screw and locking ring rather than the slotted screw that you posted earlier int he thread. On my LF camera I tightened it to the mounting block with a wrench since that camera is only used on a tripod. For a permanent mounting situation I've found the hex plates quite acceptable.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 07-16-2008 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ari hi ..
    i have 486rc2 ballhead that goes with 190proxb as my small mobile tripod.. it is very nice for compact camers, say rolleiflex or hasselbald swc903 and alike. well maybe it is better to use it even for hasselbald with normal setup (waist levl finder and 80mm) than not using tripid at all :-)
    but for 055 any version of 488 is far more balanced and it should keep the hasselblad (and say 120mm planar and alike) with smoothness and full confidance. wether u want a ballhead or not it is another question ... the pro 3d u mentioned is very good too, and though i dont have it, but i used it alot of times and it is smooth and sits into place even with accurate repeated re-adjustments..
    anyway, all in all, a 055+488 (or alternative 3d head) is just great.. as far as i know only the foba and the linhof (both = $$$$$$) feel better (and mainly as a matter of luxury compared to manfrotto) ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ah.. about the geared head ...
    thats a tricky question, at least for me since i do love the ballheads.
    but u can use a geared head very fast too, remember, u have an option to open that gear and use it free handed for fast placement and then continue fine tunning with the gear.. it works fast, i wouldnot say it is slower than 3d head in almost any case in practice. ballhead is a different story of course, faster but when u need super accuracy in fixing the stuff in place it needs some relaxation, coordination and patience :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Manfrotto 055 with a basic 3 way head, no Q/R plates but with Hasselblad's Tripod Mounting Unit. Q/R and solid as a rock, even with the 350mm. Highly recommended.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin