Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,746   Online: 909

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Manfrotto Heads for Hasselblad

I hope you can help me out with this decision.
    I have a Manfrotto 055 tripod which I use in the studio for my Hasselblads. It has been so far equipped with the Basic 3-way head with quick release plate 141RC. After a few years of using that combination, I decided that some gripes that I have could result in getting a new head.
    - The plate doesn't seem to hold perfectly still
    - The plate even screwed tightly does not hold the Hasselblad perfectly, especially with heavy lenses and when tilted, the camera tends to loosen up and shift position.
    - The movements of the axis don't seem smooth enough even after being lubricated with gun oil.

I've tried a ball-head (486RC2) and didn't seem comfortable. But maybe a bigger one would.
    I've looked at the special hexagonical plate Manfrotto has for the Hasselblad and understood that I need a new head for it. It is an expensive investment and I don't have the luxury of trying it out before buying.
    So, my question to you is:
    - Will the hexagonical plate hold the camera as tightly and steadily as it should?
    If the answer is yes, I will probably go for the Pro 3D Head (229).
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arigram, yes it will work fine. I used a hexagonal plate for years with a Hasselblad on a benbo tripod. It is a strong mount. I'm not sure about whether it was made especially for the Hasselblad though? I used a regular manfrotto hex mount
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Andrew,
    I am referring to this plate:

It seems to have a ridge that may hold the camera straight with no chance of it tilting to the sides as it does with regular heads.
    I am trying to find out if its worth it to shell out money for the new head and plate, because I really need the camera to be more secure than it is now.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone has any experience with the Pro 3D Head (229)?
    I need to know if its smooth.
    The head that I have now, needs some pushing to move in millimeters, so its not really smooth
    and can be a pain when trying to get a good composition with you need precision.
    But, no, I don't need a gear head, don't need THAT much precision and they are way too slow for my needs.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ari I use hex plates with my Pentax67 and Rolleiflex and I have several.. A few of them are not solid and jiggle. Others are rock solid. I recently got a Gitzo ball head (Gitzo G1227M) and I absolutely love it. It was not all that expensive and is very solid with a bogen hex holder on top. It takes a bit to get used to reaching for a knob to loosen rather than handles where you expect them but it is so compact and works very well.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Suggest you try a slik 700DX head. It has circular mounting plate which drops into the head and clamps. This head has really good three way pan tilt. Smooth and locks solid but very easy to adjust position.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari I also have a 055 with a 141 (non RC) head. I have set my mind on an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead as my next.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The cut out part is normally filled with a rubberized cork material to help prevent things from turning. Used to use those with video equipment a long time ago. The larger ball head should be better, but they only have a single large model now, and it is rather expensive. So much so that you should be able to find a good used Arca for nearly the same price. Calumet has a nice big ball head too, and of course Really Right Stuff.

The larger ball gives more contact area, which provides a stronger hold. And on the larger heads there is a drag adjustment to help keep the camera from getting away when you unlock the ball.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have had the 229 (designated as 029) head. I used it with a Mamiya RZ and some of my numerous TLR. No problems what so ever. I think it would work great with the Hasselblad plate mentioned above. If you have to have a ballhead, the only one worth mentioning in my experience is the Arca Monoball.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4x4 square plate is pretty darned universal, *extremely* secure, and is probably almost perfect fit for a Hassy. It is by far my favorite quick release plate ever made. It fits almost everything, and there is no chance of any slippage whatsoever due to the large rubber area. I have one permanently attached to my Sinar so I don't have to buy the over-$300 (used!) Sinar tripod head. The standard Bogen hex plates don't work on their tripod couplers. Sinar's attempt at making overpriced proprietary equipment a necessity has been blown by Bogen with a $40 part. I have a few more that work great on all sorts of cameras. This plate is not much, and a used 3047 head will be cheap, smooth, and handle anything you can put on it. You can probably find a 3036 or 3051 tripod with this head on it in near mint condition for $200 or under, then resell sell the legs with your current head if you don't want them. That would be the cheapest way to procure a 3047 head.

B&H link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x4_Square.html

In use:

Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-15-2008 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin