Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,430   Online: 831

Thread: RZ67 180mm lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RZ67 180mm lens

I want to pick up a second lens for my RZ67, already have the 110mm, the 180mms are a lot less expensive than the 65mms. I know there are 180mm 'short barrel' lenses for use with the tilt-shift adapter, soft focus lenses and a lens with flash sync at all speeds. KEH has two other designations the 180 F4.5 and 180 F4.5 W. Are there any real differences between the two? I shoot mostly nature/landscape buy might try some available light portraiture with this lens.

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scott k View Post
    a lens with flash sync at all speeds. KEH has two other designations the 180 F4.5 and 180 F4.5 W. Are there any real differences between the two? I shoot mostly nature/landscape buy might try some available light portraiture with this lens.

Scott

They should all sync at all speeds. That's a non-issue.

W is newer/updated. Better coatings I don't remember what else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So would this be the oldest to newest design designation: 180 F4.5 , 180 F4.5 W followed by 180 f4.5 W-N? Is there any real difference?

Scott

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    [QUOTE=Nick Zentena;656224]They should all sync at all speeds. QUOTE]

If they have leaf shutters. I thought the RZ had a focal plane shutter; therefore RZ lenses, in general, don't have shutters - the reason they're priced lower than the RB lenses. I have an RB with lenses all having leaf shutters (all sync at all speeds), so I'm not sure about the RZ equipment. I believe that's the reason RZ lenses cannot be used on the RB, but RB lenses can be used on the RZ.

Paul
    Last edited by panastasia; 07-18-2008 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No both RZ and RB are leaf shutter cameras. Usually RZ lenses are more expensive. The reason you can't use them on the RB is the RZ lenses need some electronics in the camera. The RB lacks that stuff.

Scott I wonder if any difference you'd see would be mostly sample variation. Used lenses you never know how they've been treated. Plus even if the oldest is softer that might be an advantage in a portrait length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Plus even if the oldest is softer that might be an advantage in a portrait length.
    No doubt, but I'd prefer sharp since I usually shoot landscape and like a lot of depth of field.

I just found this over on photo.net http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/0011q4
    which answers my question.

Thanks to all-now should I go and order one?

Scott

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    No both RZ and RB are leaf shutter cameras. Usually RZ lenses are more expensive. The reason you can't use them on the RB is the RZ lenses need some electronics in the camera. The RB lacks that stuff.
    That's interesting. It means the shutter speeds for all RZ lenses have the same accuracy (assuming they're electronically controlled), as opposed to mechanically controlled shutters that surely vary somewhat over time.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin