Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,189   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    You're going to love using this camera. I bought the AF version last year and then a 200mm lens. I love it for portraits.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    It rewinds at the end of the roll but you can fool it by simply unlocking the film insert and pulling it out slightly. I mean just barely tug on it and it will rewind.
    I have to do this when using short 120 rolls which yield 6 exposures. I guess kodak makes it special order for the picture people chain of 1-hour portrait studios. They use(d) an RB with 645 back, and the 6-exp roll would give you 8 to 10 frames, can't remember for certain. Kind of a smart way to save money.

I've never swapped in mid roll, from what I understand it can be done with the Pentax 645 though you lose a frame apparently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Philip Thanks for this very welcome answer. I'll come clean now and say I thought I had mentioned this as a possible alternative to removable backs which the P645 doesn't of course have on another thread and was told that this wasn't possible. The film simply winds on to the end with no possibility of a rewind.

Just goes to show that mentioning things twice is usually worthwhile. Losing a frame isn't a big deal. I usually sacrifice a frame on a rewound 35mm cassette anyway just to be on the safeside when I re-insert it and take up where I left off.

When you do it with short rolls by unlocking the insert and tugging on it barely, if there any likelihood of allowing a light leak? If so, I suppose the alternative is firing blank frames with a lens cap on until the end then allowing the auto rewind to operate?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Phillip.

Thank you for clearing up the response for me. I will try your method of making a mask.I

Jamusu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must be missing something. Mine does not rewind, it just winds through to the end of the roll. Can they be set up to rewind somehow?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    I must be missing something. Mine does not rewind, it just winds through to the end of the roll. Can they be set up to rewind somehow?

So two diametrically opposed viewpoints on this. It was what I was afraid of. Yet it seems both sets of users have experience of both outcomes. So what is the correct definitive answer?

There are a good number of P645 users out there in APUG. Would others care to help settle this? I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it is important for potential buyers to know whether there is a rewind facility or not.

Help needed.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, there isn't any rewind facility.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    No, there isn't any rewind facility.
    I apologize for misleading anyone. After having taken the backing paper from a previous roll and running it through the camera, merely removing the back _does not_ rewind in mid roll. I'm sorry, it's been a while since i've used my camera and honestly while I remember this to be the standard procedure.. it doesn't rewind.. OTOH, attaching the emergency winder knob onto the camera allows you to cock the camera and wind the film when it is locked up. Merely attaching the lens cap and winding this way could work, but it is a pain in the ass. You could also switch to manual and fire away to the end of the roll with the lens cap on..

Sorry if I mislead or confused anyone! My mind isn't as good as it used to be..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frankly, I think the only sane method of changing film mid role with the Pentax 645 is to switch between bodies. And now, why not discuss the possibilities of using the P645 with a waist-level finder? The camera has its limitations, but I love it nonetheless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay..

I am a bit lost now. My film automatically rewinds when I shoot my last frame.

Jamusu.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin